Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Been trying to compress a 50gb blu-ray to 25gb disc. someone recommended DVDFab but i've been reading some reviews that the compression dvdfab does to the blu-ray is not always very good?

anyone have experience with this software? other recommendations?

i also have MakeMKV and Handbrake but all i need to know is the best way to compress the main film on the blu-ray to fit on a 25gb disc with as little loss of quality as possible.

tips?

Last edited:

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
i dont know how to use handbrake other than the usual presets like "apple tv 3" or whatever. and that compresses the video down considerably because the movie will go from a 25gb file to a 6gb file.

what i want is to just copy the movie from one disc to the other with as little compression as possible.

if i rip the film with MakeMKV is there a handbrake setting that lets me compress the file as little as possible so it will fit on a 25GB disc?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Why do you need a backup on disc format? Most devices will happily play the ripped / compressed file without need to go down the 'burn to disc route'....

Also you can easily set up 1920x1080 or 1280x720 handbrake profiles. If you can rip a disc or burn a disc the level of technical expertise needed to change a few small settings in Handbrake is little.

Unless of course there is an ulterior motive necessitating ripping and burning a copy.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
i dont have any ulterior motives. my question was simple. I wanted to know if anyone here uses DVDFab for compression and if they recommend it.

if you're suggesting im making illegal copies of movies i'm not. i own a physical copy of the movie i'm trying to copy, but i dont like lending out my original movies to friends as i never ever ever get them back.

i dont think i need to go into a whole explanation... i just wanted simple helpful advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.