Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Firaxis and 2K Games' critically acclaimed strategy title XCOM: Enemy Unknown has officially launched for the Mac today.

Originally announced in February, XCOM: Enemy Unknown for Mac comes packaged as part of a special Elite Edition, which includes additional add-on content like the Slingshot Pack, the Elite Soldier Pack, the Second Wave update and the game's soundtrack.

xcom.jpg
XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a re-imagined version of the 1994 classic X-Com: UFO Defense. In the game, players will lead a secret government organization to defend the world against aliens, overseeing base management and engaging in combat.
-Command XCOM's soldiers in tense turn-based battles where each decision could be the difference between game-changing gains or devastating losses for humanity.

-Expand the XCOM base, manage its resources, oversee international relations and control Earth's satellite coverage and air defenses.

-Recruit, customize and equip an elite squad, then upgrade each soldier's unique skills and abilities as they gain experience in the field.

-Recover artifacts from battle and use them to research and build powerful technologies that can be turned against the invaders.

-Mix and match aliens and soldiers to create powerful squads in LAN and online multiplayer.
The included DLC adds extended character customization options and additional missions, along with several new gameplay options.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Elite Edition can be downloaded for $49.99 from the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'XCOM: Enemy Unknown' Elite Edition Now Available for Mac

phixionalninja

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Does anybody know if the Mac version will come to Steam? I got it free for PC with Bioshock Infinite, and I'd much rather install it under OSX.

mbarriault

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
And....it is cheaper on Steam and will probably go on sale for less. It just needs SteamPlay now.

It seems the App Store version includes the DLC which is $12 on Steam, so it's actually technically cheaper on Mac.

However, sales will certainly mean it'll be cheaper on Steam at some point.

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
Ah man, I remember playing this years ago on my Amiga! Fond memories, can't wait to play this version on my Mac. Even if it means missing out on sale prices... :eek:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
You can grab Feral games on sale, you just have to be a bit patient. They recently discounted all their Total War games by 50%. (Or sometimes not––I nabbed Arkham City on Amazon for $15 in December, not long after it came out.)

Unfortunately it's not coming to Steam, which means no online Mac-PC multiplayer, so I'll probably grab the PC version the next time it's cheap.Oh well.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
It seems the App Store version includes the DLC which is $12 on Steam, so it's actually technically cheaper on Mac.

However, sales will certainly mean it'll be cheaper on Steam at some point.

Plus Steam games give you the Windows version (and vise versa) for free, assuming they're allowed to carry it. I just bought Dragon Age Origins Ultimate on Steam for a little over $7, but the Mac version is nowhere to be found on there. It's still $30 elsewhere and you don't get the Windows version with it either for that price.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Feral never puts their games on Steam, as the compensation model for them would probably be iffy. The real shame, is that it comes out so "late" and most people, like me, have already bought for PC and will probably not be too fussed about paying for a 2nd copy.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Surprised to see this out already! I'll probably buy direct from Feral. It's likely that game updates will come faster through them than waiting for Apple approval.

jpklock

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2013
What the heck did they do to this thing?

My problem with this release is that the system requirements are absolutely absurd. 2.0 GHz processor? 8GB for one-year-old laptops with an HD3000 video processor? 15 GB on disk (compare to the ~8 GB that my Steam-powered Windows version of the game cost)?

It's fairly clear that there's no way that my 1.5 year old MacBook Air will ever run this beast of a port. I'm sad about that-- maybe I'll go back to trying to figure out how to run the Windows version I own under WINE. Or, I'll just wait for the iOS version.

Ah, well. I suppose I'll find a use for that $50, and those hundreds of hours...

barrett14

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Just bought the game but it freezes shortly after launch... I have the brand new imac with 680MX graphic card.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I just bought Dragon Age Origins Ultimate on Steam for a little over $7, but the Mac version is nowhere to be found on there.

I just saw this as well, I was ready to jump on it until I noticed no SteamPlay for it. Really unfortunate. I refuse to buy anything that doesn't have SteamPlay anymore; I no longer have Windows on my Mac. :D

While I would like to play XCOM, since I have never played any of the older ones, I think I'll pass. Looks great, but I can't justify the price at this time.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
My problem with this release is that the system requirements are absolutely absurd. 2.0 GHz processor? 8GB for one-year-old laptops with an HD3000 video processor? 15 GB on disk (compare to the ~8 GB that my Steam-powered Windows version of the game cost)?

It's fairly clear that there's no way that my 1.5 year old MacBook Air will ever run this beast of a port. I'm sad about that-- maybe I'll go back to trying to figure out how to run the Windows version I own under WINE. Or, I'll just wait for the iOS version.

I'm not sure what you are complaining about. 2 ghz is the same as the PC version. The reason it uses more space than the PC version is that it has all the DLC. The system requirements are actually fairly low for an Unreal 3-based game.

I admit that the 8 GB ram requirement for the integrated cards is weird, though. It's because integrated cards use some of your system memory, but I bet you could get away with 4, specially if you run the game without anything else in the background. OS X loves it's RAM, though.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I just saw this as well, I was ready to jump on it until I noticed no SteamPlay for it. Really unfortunate. I refuse to buy anything that doesn't have SteamPlay anymore; I no longer have Windows on my Mac. :D

I have Win98 and WinXP (and Linux for that matter) virtualized here, mostly for playing older games, although I bought Torchwood II under THEIR pretense that a Mac version was going to become available within a couple of months (now looking like NEVER to me) and it plays OK in XP virtualized on my Mini, but slightly faster on my old Windows only machine. The Force Unleashed plays like CRAP (like 5 fps) on that same Windows only machine but plays full speed (at a slightly lower resolution) on the Mac conversion, which is hardly optimal, so I assume virtualized 3D still has a way to go compared a true Boot Camp setup. Sadly, there is no XP support for Boot Camp anymore and I don't really feel like buying Windows 7 or 8 just to play a few games (or want to boot into them) especially since the Intel 4000 really isn't all that great for modern gaming anyway.

Meanwhile, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition was SUPPOSED to also be released for the Mac at the same time as the other platforms (all including iOS released within a day of each other in 2010) but the Mac version was nowhere to be found. Given how simple it is to convert an iOS game into a Mac title, I see absolutely NO EXCUSE for it not becoming available when I can play it on my iPod Touch even. It's ridiculous is what it is. Apple should offer an iOS simulator/emulator for Macs just for the games, IMO. Why should I have to buy a game a second time or not even be able to get it when the iOS games are just in a cut-down OSX to begin with. They have a an iOS simulator setup for developers, so I don't know why they don't simply have an app player for the Mac in general.

I ended up buying the Windows version of Monkey Island 2 Special edition on Steam and it runs perfectly fine under Virtualization. If a Mac version ever does come out and Steam gets it, you get the Mac version for free at that time anyway.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Great game! I didn't have the chance to play it on my Amiga, now i can enjoy it on my Mac.

Renzatic

Suspended
While I would like to play XCOM, since I have never played any of the older ones, I think I'll pass.

Having played the old games isn't a requirement to enjoy new XCOM. It doesn't carry on the story from the older titles in the series, and the gameplay has been changed up quite a bit.

Think of it like this: do you really like turn based tactical games with destructible environments, loads of character and base customization, and tons of ways to complete an objective? If you do, that's all the excuse you need to grab the game and have a ball.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.