Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebassmanmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
Cambridge
Hi guys,
I'm after some advice.
I am looking at getting the ATV 3 and I have all my music in itunes music match.
I want to use this without having a permanent streaming source as i only have a MacBook and only use it occasionally.

Reading up on this it looks like i can stream my music from music match but i would like to have my photos shown, like i can with my ATV 1, is this possible?

I did read about photostream, will this show a selection of my photos from iphoto or is it just the new pics taken with my iphone.

I hope this make sense.

cheers

thebassmanmac

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Hi guys,
I'm after some advice.
I am looking at getting the ATV 3 and I have all my music in itunes music match.
I want to use this without having a permanent streaming source as i only have a MacBook and only use it occasionally.

Reading up on this it looks like i can stream my music from music match but i would like to have my photos shown, like i can with my ATV 1, is this possible?

I did read about photostream, will this show a selection of my photos from iphoto or is it just the new pics taken with my iphone.

I hope this make sense.

cheers

thebassmanmac

You are correct that AppleTV will play iTunes Match music without a computer being turned on. And you are correct it can display photos from Photo Stream. Photo Stream will store 1,000 photos, and keep photos for 30 days. It is just new pics you take with your iPhone. If you have a Mac, it also works with iPhoto, so any photo you add into Photo Stream from your Mac will show on your AppleTV as well.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/photo-stream.html

thebassmanmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
Cambridge
That's a shame about the photos, I really want to get an ATV3.
I thought this was the case. I will have to look into uploading photos to the cloud.
I see the ATV has a USB port, is it the same as the original ATV, where it is just a service port.
I guess I cannot connect an external hard drive.
Cheers
Thebassmanmac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.