Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Apr 23, 2013, 05:59 PM   #51
afireintonto
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to afireintonto
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
how about we just make cigarettes illegal, and make weed legal.
Lets do it!
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:57 AM   #52
bruinsrme
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
There are studies that show that legalized weed would bring in billions of tax revenue. Instead of increasing the amount available to government to spend, how about we just make cigarettes illegal, and make weed legal. The revenue is similar, the health costs are far lower, and for the conservatives out there, there isn't a massive growth of government spending.
With the vast amount of weed coming illegally from Mexico what would the implications of legalizing weed do to the drug cartels. I can't imagine it would sit too well losing control of the distribution channels and so on.

Then you have big tobacco.

I don't smoke (any longer, its been well over 20 years)and I cannot stand the smell of it. I love the new commercials showing the effects of smoking. Unfortunately many don't think it can happen to them.

I am all for making cigarettes illegal. Making weed legal, I have no problem with that especially if its taxed to the hilt.
bruinsrme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:35 AM   #53
nick9191
macrumors 68040

ITT:

nick9191 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2013, 08:53 PM   #54
zin
macrumors 6502

Smoking has no health benefits. All it does is cause health issues. I cannot understand why people do it. It is disgusting, IMO.

It is a shame that here in the UK when the smoking ban was voted through MP's didn't choose to vote for a total ban and instead only for a ban in all enclosed public places.

Nothing is more disgusting than walking past someone with a whiff of toxic smoke suddenly infecting my nostrils.
zin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 03:02 AM   #55
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zin View Post
It is a shame that here in the UK when the smoking ban was voted through MP's didn't choose to vote for a total ban and instead only for a ban in all enclosed public places.
Because that has been so effective with other drugs.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 03:05 AM   #56
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a

There are no good reasons to have lower age limit for cigarettes than for alcohol.
DesertEagle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 05:21 AM   #57
SkyBell
macrumors 603

A higher buying age will have very little effect. All I ever had to do was find someone of age and give them the money. As long as you weren't plainly obvious about doing so in front of a store, worked every time. And I know plenty of people who were able to buy tobacco without being carded, just depending on which store/clerk you tried to buy from.

The only thing I can think of that might curb it a bit; a few stores I've been to now require you to slide your I.D to make age-limit purchases. Of course, there's several ways around that too. (The main one I've noticed being that the clerk usually doesn't even bother to ask to see it, nor look at the on-screen information it provides, meaning one could possibly use anyone of age's I.D and make a purchase)

Honestly, these kinds of things aren't going away unless/until we implement some sort of system that requires a thumbprint/DNA source to make such purchases. And I don't know about anyone else, but I'm seriously uncomfortable with such an idea.
Blueberry iBook G3, Apple IIc
SkyBell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 05:57 AM   #58
zin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
You are absolutely right. However, why has the smoking ban in enclosed public spaces been so successful? Very few people have been given penalties for failing to comply with the law.
zin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 07:25 AM   #59
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
There is an argument to be made though about the effects of second hand smoke on others. Most notably "Sidestream smoke has higher concentrations of cancer-causing agents (carcinogens) than mainstream smoke. And, it has smaller particles than mainstream smoke, which make their way into the lungs and the body’s cells more easily." (Source)

I don't smoke. Never have....never will. But I was behind a guy today at a red light and there was a pretty strong smell of cigarette smoke coming into my truck through the AC. So in those types of situations I have three options

1.) Turn off the AC (its been in the 80s here in GA lately....no thanks)
2.) Roll down the window (let in more smoke)
3.) Breathe it in

None of those are really good options and all part of something effecting me because of the decision of someone else.
If you are in traffic with your AC on behind a bus or truck you will breath more pollutants then breathing 2nd hand cigarette smoke. This whole 2nd hand smoke nonsense is just that, the world we live in is full of pollutants people dont seem to know/care about.

Just ban tobacco altogether, and watch the country crumble state by state.
JohnLT13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 09:09 AM   #60
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLT13 View Post
If you are in traffic with your AC on behind a bus or truck you will breath more pollutants then breathing 2nd hand cigarette smoke. This whole 2nd hand smoke nonsense is just that, the world we live in is full of pollutants people dont seem to know/care about.

Just ban tobacco altogether, and watch the country crumble state by state.
So tobacco is now the back bone of the American economy?
ugahairydawgs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 09:53 AM   #61
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasinormal View Post
It's better than nothing, but why don't governments stop the sale of tobacco products outright? Is it the taxes or the power of the tobacco companies?
Because that worked great when they got rid of booze right? And it's a perfect world since pot, cocaine, meth and heroin are illegal.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneriderltr450 View Post

In before the high capacity cigarette pack ban. "No one needs to smoke more than 7 cigarettes a day."
LOL Ok, that's funny right there.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:16 AM   #62
dscuber9000
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
I never walk around and randomly get a puff of marijuana smoke in my face. Or "illegal" other drugs.

At my university, smoking has become a problem because despite 21 smoking areas on campus, people still smoke wherever the hell they want. (There are actually people complaining because there are too many smoking areas and sometimes you need to walk well out of your way to avoid them when heading to a class.) The smokers ignoring the smoking areas has annoyed enough people that they're thinking about banning smoking from campus altogether. It's a disgusting habit with no benefits and is quite frankly dangerous. I don't mind if people slowly kill themselves at home (as long as they don't have kids), but I really can't see why it's legal in public anywhere. Many cons and no pros at all.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:16 AM   #63
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
So tobacco is now the back bone of the American economy?
I may have overstated, but Just look at the income tobacco tax and sales tax generates state by state, the employment gained from the growth production and sales state by state. If Tobacco use was ban in this country where would the revenue that it creates come from? In Massachusetts tobacco tax is $2.51 a pack, then add the 6.5 sales tax at how many sold per day?
Do you want to pay more in taxes? I know I don't.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:23 AM   #64
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
I may have overstated, but Just look at the income tobacco tax and sales tax generates state by state, the employment gained from the growth production and sales state by state. If Tobacco use was ban in this country where would the revenue that it creates come from? In Massachusetts tobacco tax is $2.51 a pack, then add the 6.5 sales tax at how many sold per day?
How much do we pay in cancer related tobacco healthcare costs? So are you ok with legalizing marijuana across the board for the tax base? It seems only fair that you would want the safer drug open and taxable.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:41 PM   #65
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Its a good point of discussion. I would love to see what the revenue from tobacco sales is vs the health care costs picked up by the government for treating tobacco caused illnesses.

I would guess that there isn't much of a spread between the two.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2013, 02:45 PM   #66
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
How much do we pay in cancer related tobacco healthcare costs? So are you ok with legalizing marijuana across the board for the tax base? It seems only fair that you would want the safer drug open and taxable.
In Massachusetts marijuana has be "decriminalized" to a certain extent and medical use has been allowed, tho not in affect yet. As for an all out legalization I Have to say no. I am not a user or proponent of use. I do acknowledge its not a very harmful drug and its taxable income would be a welcome addition. But in my opinion it would take years to implement with millions in cost to regulate it. Is the cause worth the effect?
Old Apr 28, 2013, 02:50 PM   #67
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
In Massachusetts marijuana has be "decriminalized" to a certain extent and medical use has been allowed, tho not in affect yet. As for an all out legalization I Have to say no. I am not a user or proponent of use. I do acknowledge its not a very harmful drug and its taxable income would be a welcome addition. But in my opinion it would take years to implement with millions in cost to regulate it. Is the cause worth the effect?
You can't have it both ways, why be ok with the more harmful drug being legal?
Old Apr 28, 2013, 04:33 PM   #68
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

One huge reason this proposed law will not affect anything if passed ..... Most smokers started smoking before even 18yrs of age. I personally don't know of many smokers who started in their 20's.

IMO .... It should be illegal for companies to use additives with tobacco products. Not tobacco itself.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:24 AM   #69
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
One huge reason this proposed law will not affect anything if passed ..... Most smokers started smoking before even 18yrs of age. I personally don't know of many smokers who started in their 20's.

IMO .... It should be illegal for companies to use additives with tobacco products. Not tobacco itself.
I agree with this, I don't know why they are allowed to throw in the deadly chemicals. Tobacco itself is not the problem.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues