Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old May 15, 2013, 02:40 PM   #1
benjamwes
macrumors member

Arrow External Hard Drive Recommendations?

I may be looking at getting an external hard drive soon so was wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

I am looking for a cheap 1TB hard drive to back up my new iMac to (when I get one ) and also one to save videos and Adobe Premiere / After Effects files to.

Thanks for any advice!

benjamwes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 02:44 PM   #2
rkaufmann87
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamwes View Post
I may be looking at getting an external hard drive soon so was wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

I am looking for a cheap 1TB hard drive to back up my new iMac to (when I get one ) and also one to save videos and Adobe Premiere / After Effects files to.

Thanks for any advice!

EHD's are like anything else, you get what you pay for. If you are storing important data then you risk losing it without a good backup plan. IMHO I'd recommend quality within reason. I'd recommend OWC (www.macsales.com) Mercury Elite Pro series.
Old May 15, 2013, 03:09 PM   #3
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

I use G-Technology drives. They are not cheap though. I would not suggest going with the cheapest drives if you value your data. I use my external drives in conjunction with Carbon Copy Cloner. This then allows me to boot from my external drive should my internal drive fail. A cheap solution is a risky thing in my opinion.
Old May 15, 2013, 03:24 PM   #4
ToomeyND
macrumors 6502

Costco sells 2 TB WD Mybooks for about $90. I'm happy with it as a backup disk. It's just for time machine, so I don't care that it's slow. Although, in the last 6 months or so, they've been selling USB 3.0 versions. Mine's only 2.0.
ToomeyND is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Tulani
macrumors 6502

try WD my passport
Tulani is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 03:32 PM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

I've been very pleased with both of these models in various capacities, from Other World Computing (OWC):

OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro..........................OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro™
Thumb resize. Thumb resize.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 10:57 AM   #7
benjamwes
macrumors member

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll try to get the best I can but I'm on a very low budget so I guess a cheap backup is better than no backup!
:P
benjamwes is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac