Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I only wish I had discovered the wonders of VCS earlier... I just started a new project, hosted on Google Code, using Git for the source code repository. This makes my life MUCH easier. Reverting back to a older version is far easier to do now, should I ever need to do that. Also, I can easily see how my code has changed over time. I've only made 2 commits so far, one initial and one to fix a bug. I'm already liking Git, now that I have figured out how to use it. :D

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I enjoy the snapshot feature built into Xcode. I don't use it often enough, though.

Does Xcode have the same Mountain Lion version tracking features that apps like TextEdit and Pages have?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Oddly enough, this is a Java project in Eclipse. So I couldn't tell you, as I have not messed with Xcode enough to know.

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Two pieces of advice . . .

Source control is great and can radically improve your productivity. It can also change your programming style to be more experimental and fearless. Two pieces of advice:

1. Practice reverting your code to earlier versions - make a small change (say to a comment), commit it, then roll back to the pre-change version. Do this a few times;

2. Once you're familiar with git, use an app that gives you a visual indication of your commit structure. Try SourceTree or Tower. Both will go into your git repository and show you a tree of what you committed and each commit's relationship to its parent and child commits.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2006
I would love to learn to use GIT. Right now when I finish a project I will copy it and zip the original project in case I need to revisit it. I have wanted to learn / use it as I improve my projects. Are there any good tutorials for getting started using it, and how to use it out there that you guys recommend?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Source control is great and can radically improve your productivity. It can also change your programming style to be more experimental and fearless. Two pieces of advice:

1. Practice reverting your code to earlier versions - make a small change (say to a comment), commit it, then roll back to the pre-change version. Do this a few times;

2. Once you're familiar with git, use an app that gives you a visual indication of your commit structure. Try SourceTree or Tower. Both will go into your git repository and show you a tree of what you committed and each commit's relationship to its parent and child commits.
I am using SourceTree right now. Never reverted a commit before - thanks for the advice. I'll give that a try.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Had to chime in here. Yes!!! Source control is a huge life saver.

I use SourceTree (GIT) for every programming need. I keep sourcetree open in a separate desktop, write code, test, swipe to sourcetree, commit with short change log, back to coding. Easy peasy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.