Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
hi all, this is my current setup:

cable modem + Netcomm Np803N wireless router. mid 2011 Mac Mini running Lion, Win7 laptop and an iPod Touch 4G.

i want to be able access the files on the Mac Mini and remotely use the Win7 laptop and also access files on the Mac Mini via the iPod Touch 4G.

how do i go about setting up a network?

thank you!

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
also, i'll be adding a Win8 desktop really soon. could anyone tell me how this changes things? i want to have the Win8 desktop as the main machine on the network.

thanks!

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
ok thanks. by the way, i noticed you gave a link to 'mountain lion', would this work for me as i'm running just old Lion?

so this'll be my full setup for the whole house: Netcomm Wireless Router, Windows 8 Desktop, Windows 7 Laptop, Mac Mini running Lion, an iPod Touch and a estern Digital Media Player.

i've been running the Mac Mini 24/7 recently and the Mac Mini has been streaming content to my iPod Touch and it also functions as my main desktop machine, but I now want to make the Windows 8 machine the machine that runs 24/7 and streams content to the Western Digital Media Player and iPod Touch. i want to stop using the Mac Mini as a streaming device because i value it much more than my Windows machines.

how do i go about setting up my wireless network?

also, how can i check that the network is completely secure from external threats as it'll be running 24/7?

i'd really appreciate any help!

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Let me get this straight. You already have a home wireless setup, correct?

You had a Mac media center setup to stream everything including to your Windows 8 (or Windows 7 as you first said) and iOS devices, is that correct?

Now you want to make one of the Windows machines (Win 7 or Win 8) be the media streamers?

You also want to remotely access that Windows machine from outside your home? The run a VPN server on the Windows machine and a VPN clients in OS X, iOS and Windows. This way you can always connect to you home network. This is what you want, correct?

Lastly which Western Digital device do you have? I ask because the answer depends on what you have.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Let me get this straight. You already have a home wireless setup, correct?

You had a Mac media center setup to stream everything including to your Windows 8 (or Windows 7 as you first said) and iOS devices, is that correct?

Now you want to make one of the Windows machines (Win 7 or Win 8) be the media streamers?

You also want to remotely access that Windows machine from outside your home? The run a VPN server on the Windows machine and a VPN clients in OS X, iOS and Windows. This way you can always connect to you home network. This is what you want, correct?

Lastly which Western Digital device do you have? I ask because the answer depends on what you have.

well no, not quite.

the Mac Mini was my main workstation and i was using the mac mini's built in wireless router to stream content to the WD media player and iPod Touch. however, i now want to start using the netcomm wireless router and the Win8 desktop as the machine that streams content to other devices. i never tried accessing the Mac Mini's files using the Windows machines.

so i want the Win8 machine to be at the center of everything.

i hope that was clear!

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Again what Netcom wireless router will you be using?

I ask because if you want to "create" a wireless network it should be really easy.

1. Turn off your ISP modem.

2. Connect your ISP modem with the wireless router's WAN port.

3. Tun the wireless ISP modem back on (after it's been off your at least 5 seconds).

4. On an computer, smart phone find that computers IP address. Then put that address in your favorite browser's address bar and click on the Return (enter in Windows land) button. This will take you to the Netcom's router login page.

5. Get into into this router and setup a wireless home network. Try to use the upmost wireless channels (usually in the hundreds channel range) to get the true 5 GHz speeds.

Also PLEASE LIST the Netcom Wireless router model ID!!!! This way I can really get do it helping you setup the quickest wireless Subnet (wireless network g=for your Home) possible.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
ok thanks. it's a Netcomm Np803N N150 Wireless Router

i've got my Cable Modem plugged into the router now and i'm using the internet from the cable modem/netcomm setup right now. i plugged the Win7 laptop in and the internet works great on that too.

what do i need to do now to be able to access these machines through LAN instead of over the internet? i'm using 'Team Viewer' to remotely use the Win7 machine now.

thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.