Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Hehe, still think we misunderstand each other.
And that's why:
Doom3 BFG on the other hand I can get the orginial DVDs quite cheap and was just wondering if I can install/play it without Steam (which could mean they'd be useless, but not sure any way!).
You mentioned specifically the BFG. :p

I do own the BFG one (play it via Steam) but would like to know if the orginal version would be playable when buying the discs (since it isn't available at Steam anymore). Hope that's somehow clear now. :D
Of course that's still playable, why shouldn't it? The game isn't tied to any online service which has been disabled or something.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Of course that's still playable, why shouldn't it? The game isn't tied to any online service which has been disabled or something.

That's what I wanted to hear! We've come a loooong way... :D Thx!

....sorry for that.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
So excited for this. Doom was one of the first big games that defined my childhood and pushed me into game development. The Doom games (1-3 at least) are the only games to ever make me scared and the imagery has always been so perfect. Even if it's only a bit better than 3 I'll enjoy it.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
So excited for this. Doom was one of the first big games that defined my childhood and pushed me into game development. The Doom games (1-3 at least) are the only games to ever make me scared and the imagery has always been so perfect. Even if it's only a bit better than 3 I'll enjoy it.

Yes, me too. Perfectly unnerving and unsettling imagery - and the sounds! :eek:

Except that I never played Doom 3 but for a very short try of the demo in what 2004? Wasn't that much into it back then so forgot about it (not to mention that my own PC would have never been able to run this game!). Soooo good to run it now with fresh eyes - still looks absolutely gorgeous today! - in anticipation of the fourth. I'm on the edge to get Wolfenstein NO too, but have to pimp my PC quite a bit before. Good ol' fashioned FPS without compromises!

Besides Mario Bros 1 this might very well be the most influencial (maybe better to say impressive or remarkable) game in my life. Will never forget the nightmares it brought upon me - at night as during the day!

Always a bit confused when I remember id made Commander Keen as well..

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm on the edge to get Wolfenstein NO too, but have to pimp my PC quite a bit before. Good ol' fashioned FPS without

The new Wolfenstein is brilliant! I've got a 2011 27" iMac and don't have the video card name to hand, but I'm playing it in 720p with everything maxed out and it runs at 60fps. You don't need a new or great machine for it :)

Part of me wishes I preordered it in time for the Doom 4 beta key but I'd also like to play it as bug-free as possible!

Reactions: bungiefan89

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I ordered a DVD copy from Amazon last week and it came with a card for access to the Doom beta. It's still on sale for $39.99, same price as the download-only version. Just be aware that the game comes on four DVDs and will suck up 50 GB of hard drive space. I haven't had to swap discs that much since I installed Hexen on my 486, which required seven 3.5" floppies.

The game looks good and runs well on my MBP at 1280x800 resolution and medium details. This was a surprise considering all the problems AMD users were experiencing. Be sure to have the latest GPU drivers (14.4 at time of writing) before you attempt to play.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
I ordered a DVD copy from Amazon last week and it came with a card for access to the Doom beta. It's still on sale for $39.99, same price as the download-only version. Just be aware that the game comes on four DVDs and will suck up 50 GB of hard drive space.

I got a copy a month or so ago imported from the UK, and that had a Doom Beta key with it too. In terms of the 50GB disk space, people who are thinking about buying Wolfenstein also need to realise that there was a 10+ GB day 1 patch, so even if you get the retail box, you still have to download as much data as a reasonably large modern PC game anyway.

The game looks good and runs well on my MBP at 1280x800 resolution and medium details. This was a surprise considering all the problems AMD users were experiencing. Be sure to have the latest GPU drivers (14.4 at time of writing) before you attempt to play.

Really? On a 2011 MBP with 6770M graphics? That is surprising.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Hmm Doom 3 refuses to even launch on my Mac Pro, specs in the sig.

It's just bouncing there on the dock. I really wanted to play through it in preparation for the new Doom. Time to fiddle about, and contact Aspyr

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
UK
You sure? I see it too (9.99€) but one can't purchase it - at least in my country.

Gutted. Must be some lame country based restriction or something. I can easily add it to my cart and go to checkout beyond that. :p

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    279.4 KB · Views: 153

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Yesterday was QuakeCon 2014 and here is what we know so far.

• Game to be called just 'Doom' not Doom 4
  • It will take place on Mars once again
  • The game will be powered with the new id Tech 6 engine
  • Double jumps and jetpacks
  • Demon limbs removable and usable as weapons (as are the player's limbs to the demons)
  • Large number of weapons
  • Larger focus on mele combat with hand to hand finishing moves
  • To be released on PC, Xbox One and PS4

I'm pumped. :D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
We've had 4 main Doom games so far, and 3 of them are telling the same story.
But that's great! I don't care if each new Doom game is just "we fudged up and now there are demons", but I would like a new one set on Earth too.

Just waiting for a gameplay video now.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
UK

Still another year to wait but I'm still hyped. The damage system to the demons looks crazy awesome!

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Yeah, but these vids are crazy low-quality.

They can't be official.

They're taken from last night's E3 presentation from Bethesda. I stayed up till 3am to watch it live :D. Maybe not official videos but official footage.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I'll be picking this one up. Always liked Doom. I liked the extra animations they've added for melee attacks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.