Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
I think it is licensing issues. Apple doesn't see the need to fully license NTFS from Microsoft, so they build in read-only access. One option for flash media is ExFAT (FAT64). It will support larger files, but a drawback is that you can't boot from an ExFAT partition.

So did microsoft make the NTFS format?
Kudos!
While Apple in the other hand uses a worse format just because they don't want to pay a small amount to their rival and have better service.
I mean why can't they change FAT32 and make it support larger files?
But now that I think of it, apple did create a format too (apple journaled HFs thing). What I don't understand is why did they limit the file size to 4gb...

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
The only drawback of FAT32 (as with mac extended journaled or whatever) is that you can only transfer files on the disk that are less than 4gb.
I don't know why apple uses that, since HD movies can sometimes be more than 4gb and you just can't use them...

I don't see where you get that the maximum filesize of a file on Mac HFS+ formatted drives is 4GB.

See the article from Apple...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2422?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Vsching

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2012
Kudos!
While Apple in the other hand uses a worse format just because they don't want to pay a small amount to their rival and have better service.
But now that I think of it, apple did create a format too (apple journaled HFs thing). What I don't understand is why did they limit the file size to 4gb...

HFS has no 4gb limit. FAT32 is a legacy file system , it has 4gb limit and is not from apple.

Ntfs -> microsoft
hfs -> apple
fat32 -> read and write support by both apple + miscrosoft

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Kudos!

OS X uses HFS+, which is an older file format, but one that supported long file names, etc. long before Windows 95 did. Apple added FAT32 support along the way (for cross compatibility with Windows 95 partitions), but didn't add full NTFS support as Microsoft charged more for the license.

The 4GB limit on FAT32 is a function of the file structure, and is computed as 2^32. Apple can't "change" FAT32 to support larger files, or else Windows wouldn't be able to read it.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
I thought Macs just worked! This is my first Mac so I still have a lot of Windows programs that I use but I thought "no problem, I'll just run them in bootcamp!" Well first the windows support drivers took hours to download, then I had to call Microsoft to get a new windows 7 activation key, then I made the huge mistake of only partitioning 25gb for windows since I only have 128 total. Now I don't have space for any windows programs and there is no way to expand the partition aside from paying $20 for Winclone.

On top of all that, Windows 7 can't write to Mac formatted drives so I can't really share files between the two systems.

I just had to get this rant out of my system, if anybody knows and ways to streamline the bootcamp experience let me know!

My advice is to purchase vmware fusion 5 (or parallels 8) to run Windows side-by-side with OS X. You'll be able to effectively utilize all of your storage where both OS X and Windows will be able to access your files on the same SSD with a seamless experience. For example, you could allocate 40 or 60gb to Windows in vmware fusion to install programs and all your data would reside on the OS X and accessible by both OS without a problem. I don't even touch bootcamp with some of its 'limitations'.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
I managed to shrink Windows from 24GB to 8GB leaving plenty of space for programs, but I'm already transitioning away from it fully. The only thing I really need it for now is one school related program that doesn't have an OSX version. I wrapped up my last video project in Sony Vegas so I can find a new editor now.

AspiringEsquire

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
Sunny Florida, USA
x2.
The other nice thing is that you don't have to leave that file on your Air's SSD. Windows will definitely run faster if you do (because SSDs are amazingly fast), but if you're only going to use Windows every now and then, buy a $99 external USB3 drive, and put your Windows virtual machine file on it. You'll notice a Finder window in the attached screen shot that shows I have eleven different Window machines on my Lacie external drive, varying in size from 3.9GB to 50GB+.

Recently purchased Parallels 8 and Win7, to add to my current setup for non-intensive use like Office2010, etc. Have yet to install either, as I am still deciding if I want to bother with Boot Camp at all.

If I'm def planning on both Boot Camp and VM, does it matter which is installed/activated first? If I do both, I already anticipate having to call in the second Win7 activation. While this isn't a issue for me, I might also avoid the trouble altogether by just not doing Boot Camp.

If I could limit the Win7 OS files to no more than 30GB or so on my SSD, I wouldn't mind keeping Win7 on it. It should def make Win snappier. I normally save most of my working files to my usb external (old internal HDD before SSD). But you make an appealing suggestion to keep the VM on an external drive. Idk much about virtual machines to start with, but I previously assumed the VM had to be on an internal drive.

Using Parallels, would I be able to move the VM to an external drive. Would I install Win7 in Parallels on the SSD first, then move the Win7 files (?) to the external drive? I assume the external would have to be formatted for Win? Or could I use my current external a drive (the old HDD) with both Win & Mac files on it?

KerryH

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
I don't know if it has been mentioned in this thread as I didn't read every single post but a great option to use when you have a small ssd is parallels + a slim install of windows 7.

This article talks about a little more http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/tiny-ssd-slim-windows-7-minimal-installs/

These are a great improvement over the ~20GB a retail installation requires.

Also make sure you choose the right settings for your pagefile and disable system restore.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Using Parallels, would I be able to move the VM to an external drive. Would I install Win7 in Parallels on the SSD first, then move the Win7 files (?) to the external drive? I assume the external would have to be formatted for Win? Or could I use my current external a drive (the old HDD) with both Win & Mac files on it?
With Parallels/Fusion/etc, the VM you create is going to look like a single file to you. Inside of that single file will be Windows and all of its gazillion different files, plus the programs you install on it, and the data you create. But to you, on your Mac, it's just a single file. You can double-click to open it (like how you double-click on a Word file to open it in Microsoft Word), and you can drag 'n drop it wherever (like your external drive) to move it.

When you're first creating the VM (which is the step where you install Windows), my opinion is because that process does a lot of copying of files, it will probably go faster if you do it on your SSD. When it's all done, you can drag 'n drop the VM that you created to your external drive. But there's nothing wrong with creating it on your external in the first place and not having to move it later.

Your Mac will need to be able to read and write to your external drive, so any format that allows for that should work. Windows (running inside of the virtual machine you created) has no idea if it's running on your SSD, or your external, or how either of them are formatted. Parallels/Fusion/etc takes care of all of that, which is why even if your external was formatted as a Mac-only file system, Windows (inside of your VM) would still run fine.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
Kudos!

I'm lead to believe Microsoft don't licence out the write functionality. However, MS want people to stay using ex fat, which Apple has fully licensed.

77slevin

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2013
Belgium
I'm lead to believe Microsoft don't licence out the write functionality. However, MS want people to stay using ex fat, which Apple has fully licensed.

Yes, Microsoft does license out the Read & Write functionality of NTFS.(Ex. Many different brands of cameras can write to NTFS, Tuxera for Mac can write to NTFS,...) Problem was and is: It's expensive. This is partly solved with ExFat, which is cheaper to license.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Run GParted from a Linux CD, it can re-size your partitions without destroying them.

Install XP if you can. A full install is only a couple gigs, compared to Windows 7 which is huge.

dbehterev

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
Moscow, RUSSIA
switched to Apples. A couple of lessons I learned. Get rid of Bootcamp was lesson 1. 2. Use Parallels and you will no longer be forced to boot up in one OS or the other. 3. There is just about nothing in Windows specific software I use anymore as everything I need is written for OS X as well. If you must, MS Office is available for OS X but I now prefer the Apple suite which writes and reads either .doc (etc.) files or apple specific files. 4. Always always always have at least a 512 GB drive.

I don't agree. Most of time I work in Win 7 and don't have any inconveniences with it (touchpad too much sensible in WIN and I use mouse). MBA is the marvellous device for both MAC OS and Win OS. I haven't got used to working in Mac OS. Yes, I found many similar applications in MAC OS X but IMHO most of them have half or less functionality than WIN applications have (and many WIN applications don't cost anything (only one notepad++ beats all build in MAC apps for writing taken one with another and notepad++ fully free)). I am a programmer and using many WIN apps in my work. I bought Parallels in hope that it will suit all of my needs... But Parallels is the additional "layer" that consumes processor resources (as a result overall performance is decreasing and fan becomes loud :( ). MS Office in MAC is not equal MS Office in WIN if we are talkilng about comfortable working. For many years I was working as a system administrator and arrived at a simple idea that you should use understandable, simple instrument for yourself. So if you feel that WIN more comfortable for you use WIN and don't listen anybody and vice versa if MAC suit all of you needs - use MAC. Hope users of macrumors forgive me for my lyrics.

--
MBA 13" 2012 512Gb SSD Core i7 2.0GHz

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I managed to shrink Windows from 24GB to 8GB leaving plenty of space for programs, but I'm already transitioning away from it fully. The only thing I really need it for now is one school related program that doesn't have an OSX version. I wrapped up my last video project in Sony Vegas so I can find a new editor now.

I would recommend (as have many others) you use VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop for running Windows. It allows you to run Windows on top of Mac OS X. That way, you don't need to reboot. Virtual machines aren't really good for gaming but it sounds like your school related program is not a graphic intensive game.

As for video editing programs, I recommend Final Cut Pro X. I use it for school projects and hobby video editing, it's great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.