Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
Hi.

Was thinking of upgrading to the iPhone 5 because I heard people say it has a better battery life but after doing some research it looks like it has a worse battery life.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-iphone-5-16gb-32gb-64gb/P7

Why do some people say its better? Placebo, maybe.

Your research consists of skimming an article where the author with no testing or evidence to support his claims at all assumed that the iPhone 5 would have worse battery life because the processor is faster and the screen is bigger.

This is like getting your chemistry advice from a superman comic book. It's so poorly informed it almost gave me a brain Anurism.

The iPhone 5 battery life is the same or better than the iPhone 4S with no perceptable difference. Stop worrying.

IPS screens with a built in touch layer like Apple's screen require less power (though bigger screens require more power so this may be a draw or take slightly more power), faster porcessors require less power and the 4G LTE hybrid chip that Apple developed as a first uses the same amount of power as a regular 4G chip which is why the iPhone 5 has so much more battery life when using LTE than the Galaxy S3 for example. The iPhone 5 also has a bigger battery.

If you're really really worried about battery life get a battery case and have a phone that has as much battery life as you want.

OSxiPro

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
UK
Your research consists of skimming an article where the author with no testing or evidence to support his claims at all assumed that the iPhone 5 would have worse battery life because the processor is faster and the screen is bigger.

This is like getting your chemistry advice from a superman comic book. It's so poorly informed it almost gave me a brain Anurism.

The iPhone 5 battery life is the same or better than the iPhone 4S with no perceptable difference. Stop worrying.

Oh, my. That is a rather large reply. It was just a simple question - I did not say I did any research, I merely pointed to the article and asked other people for opinions.

aneurysm*

The same or better battery? That appears to be very debatable, though from reading these posts it appears to be hard to say if it lasts longer or not - I believe it may just last longer but I won't find out for myself until I upgrade. How would it appear that I am worrying? It's just a phone.

Faster porcessors require less power and the 4G LTE hybrid chip that Apple developed as a first uses the same amount of power as a regular 4G chip which is why the iPhone 5 has so much more battery life when using LTE than the Galaxy S3 for example. The iPhone 5 also has a bigger battery.

Hmm. You sure you want to talk about hardware to an expert? A faster processor does not use less power unless it is on a smaller die. In-fact it's possible to use much more power due to higher voltage, higher clock, etc. it's really too much to get into detail about on a forum.

Apples hybrid 4G chip uses same amount of power as a separate 4G chip? You have the right idea but you did word it a bit wrong.

The iPhones 5 may have a bigger battery but the increased screen size is enough to diminish the improved battery life, but I can imagine the 5 having a better standby.

Kthxbai,
OsxIpro.

Last edited:

jayrflow

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2013
I actually like my battery life now. At first I was only getting 3-4 hours of usage time but once I let the battery settle, it's been great. I bought the mophie battery case for my overnight shift but since battery life has gotten better for me, I barely use it now. Here's what I got so far
a8e4unav.jpg

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
The battery life on my 5 is awful. Far worse than any other handset I've ever used, and much, much worse than my 4 or my wife's 4S.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
For me, the 4 was a big improvement over the 3G. I thought battery life then actually regressed going to the 4S from the 4. And the 5 has been the best of all so far.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Heavy use gets me through a full day from 7am to 11pm, while lighter use can easily go two days. This is on LTE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.