Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I owned an iPad 1 and 2 and recently bought a iPad 4 but then exchanged it for a Mini where I'll be staying from here on out. I'm trying to understand and appreciate why so many people are passing on this little gem due to Retina.

Now when I returned the 4 and got the Mini, sure I noticed that I couldn't zoom out as far on websites and still read as clearly but is it really that big an issue to so many? I can't appreciate art and photos like others so maybe that's where some of you knock the lack of Retina? Or videos?

I'm just trying to see where it's such a big deal because honestly I can't see it. I created another thread earlier about always using my Mini in landscape so who knows, maybe I'm covering up the 'problem' by doing this?

Having said this, if and when a Retina Mini does arrive, I'm pretty sure I'd buy it. I just don't know if I'll actually gain a lot from it.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Text.

Webpages.
PDF.
epub.
The labels on apps on springboard.

Not so much in games/video.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
games and movies (especially movies like Pixar/disney animation type movies)

text on webpages or pdfs.

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
The Digital Frontier
games and movies (especially movies like Pixar/disney animation type movies)

text on webpages or pdfs.

Anytime I need to read the screen, it is just much more easier on the eyes. I think it has to do with the distance at which you use the device. Movies like The Avengers looks great on the iPad, the more visuals on screen the better it seems to look.

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Portrait mode. I bought and returned the iPad mini. In portrait mode with the mini the text in web pages were pixelated to the point of almost unreadable. Compare the iPad 2 and mini side by side with the iPad 3 or 4 in portrait, looking at the same web page and the difference is drastic. Guess my eyes are spoiled with the retina iPad and iphone5. ;)

Last edited:

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
My wife types faster on her 1st gen iPad than most people type on a regular keyboard. We're looking at an upgrade and a second iPad fairly soon. I don't think she could type on a mini, so retina or not screen size apparently matters.

I'd like to hear input from anyone who has switched to a mini and how well they type on it.

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
My wife types faster on her 1st gen iPad than most people type on a regular keyboard. We're looking at an upgrade and a second iPad fairly soon. I don't think she could type on a mini, so retina or not screen size apparently matters.

I'd like to hear input from anyone who has switched to a mini and how well they type on it.

I switched from iPad 2 to the mini, and I type faster on the mini. I'm typing using portrait mode and split keyboard using my thumbs to type. In the iPad 2 I always typed using landscape and full keyboard mode.

jeans94621

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010

That was my biggest concern and I purchased a keyboard case before I tried it out. But I type just as fast on my mini as I did on my ipad one. It seems to me like typing on the mini is actually easier but I have no problem whatsoever.
As far as the retina not being on the mini I don't understand how people were content with the iPad one and two but are having such a hard time with the mini's display. I would suggest you go to a store and check it out for yourself.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Are you a glutton for punishment? Of all the people in the world upset about the mini's not having retina, the second biggest concentration of them (the first being the nearest Android forum) are here on MR. :rolleyes:

That said, I've got a mini and I use it every day and the main reason I bought it was so I wouldn't have to print out all the PDFs I have to read for school (and I hate more than anything reading on my desktop or laptop, and my lovely, lovely Kindle just doesn't do PDFs at all well<sigh>), and with PDFs my mini shines, I love it so much for that alone, and for the games, well I love it even more for those!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.