Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
RS-232 Serial Card for ML

Thanks for the update. It's good to know whether some add-on card works OK with wake-from-sleep.

The card works absolutely great. I hate to tie up a slot, but that's what they're for. The dongle just wouldn't cut it for my particular needs. I'll try messing around with the dongle later down the road. It's not a pressing issue now.

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
after reading this thread I ordered an AXXON LF659KB from softio. delivery took only two days to europe! really nice guys up there in canada :) I had to set one of the jumpers on the PCIe card to "Linux-Mode". after that, it worked in OS X snow leopard (no additional drivers needed).

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
after reading this thread I ordered an AXXON LF659KB from softio. delivery took only two days to europe! really nice guys up there in canada :) I had to set one of the jumpers on the PCIe card to "Linux-Mode". after that, it worked in OS X snow leopard (no additional drivers needed).

I didn't have to set any jumpers. I didn't even notice any. I suppose they probably did that for me prior to shipping. The actually installed it in a MP and ran several tests to verify compatibility for my needs. Glad you told me about that. I'll have to pull it out again just to have a look.

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
AXXON/softio support confirmed that the jumpers (there are two) do nothing apart from altering the PCI device IDs. I am dual booting Windows 7 and Snow Leopard. if I set the jumper to windows-mode, the card was recognized by OSX but when trying to establish a connection all I got was gibberish. so I set it to Linux-mode, but then the windows drivers would not load. I then edited the INF file of the windows driver so they will load even if the card is set to Linux-mode. problem solved :)

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
@crjackson2134

does your serial port show up under Yosemite? on my system I can see that the KEXT gets loaded properly but none of my terminal emulation apps is able to see the serial port...

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Very old thread, I know, but I was wondering if anyone monitoring this thread has any experience with the PL-2303 and VMware Fusion? I use this quite often connecting to other devices, and it seems that there could be a timing issue with Windows XP, 7, or 8.x as the guest OS. Has anyone compared the PL-2303 with a driver in OS X and passthrough a Serial port to the VM, or, as I have done, passed the USB device through to the VM and installed the PL-2303 driver in there.

This would be strictly for a notebook and not a desktop.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.