Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
first-gen-ipod.jpg

1st gen iPod.

Then a first gen mini, and that was the first iPod I truly loved.

9 iPods later, I now use my 4th gen iPod shuffle as my primary MP3 player.

Reactions: Bluetoot-

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
My first MP3 player was the 2nd generation 2gb iPod Nano, and I got it for my 14th birthday back in 2006. It was released a couple of weeks before hand. I think I still have it.

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
in 2005 i got my first mp3 player, a mind-blowing 60GB 5gen ipod! it was soo expensive!
and now, after years of trading and selling i'm back to a 30gb 5gen ipod classic :D running rockbox like a charm!

caseyfriday

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2011
SAT
RioVolt SP250. Not sure if this counts. I'd cram as many MP3s I could onto a CD. My first "legit" MP3 player was the third generation iPod.

OMG, I had that CD player too, and it was freaking amazing! 8 minutes of skip protection with 128kbps mp3's, and it had a full EQ on it. Not to mention the FM tuner.

That was the greatest CD player of all time.

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
ipod (second generation) was my first player, all of my friends had it and they also forced me to get it, it was really great, but nowadays, smartphones have finished the need of music players, ipod 4G was my last music player.

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013
Creative MuVo 128MB...
muvo_v200_512_c.jpg

It was my baby :) only held like 10 songs cause I used to have a thing about using a minimum of 320Kb/s quality tracks. Then the xmas after the first iPod Touch came out, I asked santa for this:
Creative_Zen_Mp3_Mp4_player.jpg

I went to a family xmas day party, taking with me my favourite present like kids do, and my cousin had gotten the original iPod touch, he showed me how it did web browsing and how it was just a big touch screen, and I thought 'your's is better than mine D:' cause i always had a bit of rivalry with that cousin... So I had my mum take mine back and get a refund, and I bought my very first Apple product, the original iPod Touch :). Until then, I had been against buying Apple products.

(to be fair, the Creative Zen had crashed a couple times already on xmas morning and I'd had to reset it by finding a pin to push the tiny reset button on the back. So I'd had a good reason to get a refund. Otherwise I'd have been stuck with my Creative Zen, ewwww!

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I was one of the lucky ones. 5GB seemed too big to be true at the time.

HT1353_30.jpg

I regret selling it, but I badly wanted the 40GB 3rd gen when it was released. After the 3rd gen I got a 6th gen which I still have. Hopefully in a few years I can sell my 6th gen for a next gen. :)

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2014
Michigan
Orange 4th Gen shuffle. still use it. i dont think i could ever sell it. it was my first ever iPod, so its kinda special to me :) my second was a silver 4GB 3rd gen nano that i found in a parking lot :p

GraniteTheWolf

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2013
Wisconsin
Mine was a 20gb Creative Nomad Jukebox 3.
jukebox3.jpg

I used it for a few years heavily and ended up throwing it away after a co-worker accidentally pulled it off the table and caused a head crash on the hard drive. I was too young at the time to have the skills to change the hard drive for a bigger and new one.

For the past couple years I have regretted throwing it away. I could SO easily change the hard drive in one if I knew then what I know now about computer crap lol.

*keeping an eye on ebay for a reasonably priced one all the time*

Last edited:

jruschme

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Brick, NJ
virginmp3.jpg

Technically, my second player... the Virgin Pulse VP-01 (OEM of an MPIO player). It even came with a plugin for very early versions of iTunes.

AlexxRyzhkov

macrumors regular
May 17, 2014
first MP3 player was an iPod Nano 3rd gen clone I bought in Europe for $27
Worked fine except the Play/Pause button would stick sometimes. I think it was 4gb.

First real iPod was a 4th Gen iPod Nano 16gb. Then I got a 16gb iPod Touch 2nd gen. The iPod Nano was stolen quite recently, and the iPod Touch got water damaged :(

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Archie Jukebox followed by a Rio.
Then on to a handful of iPod shuffle’s and Nanos. Still use them all.
Just picked up a 6th gen touch but find I prefer my iPhone. The touch is so tiny.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Microsoft Zune. It was AMAZING. Held all my music, played forever. Gave it to family who used it for many years after.

1612836512584.png

Edit: Oh wow, am I the first one in this thread to mention the Zune? Really? Sigh.

• Love
Reactions: Royksöpp

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
creative-zen.jpg

The Creative Zen 8gb from 2008 is my first mp3-player*.
I'm still using it daily and when I'm writing test scenarios it can be upto 7 hours a day.
Sometimes the screen stays white, but if you just restart it (not reset), the screen comes back and on rare occassions the colors of the UI are a shade lighter (again, just a restart to get the darker shade back).

I bought last year an iPod Nano 16gb 6th gen to replace it. Not because the Zen was defect, but Creative software doesn't support OSX. This meant that I couldn't put new songs on it.
I had tried the XNJB software, but I couldn't get it installed on OSX 10.6.x.
Afterwards I got it to work on OSX 10.8.3
So now the iPad Nano is banned to my car radio and I'm using again my Zen :D

*Before the Zen, it was the original Walkman and Discman and then a lot of years nothing.
In 2021 the Creative Zen is still going (at home) and the iPod Nano is still in my car, although the car has changed over the years.
iPod Shuffles have been added to the collection for when I'm jogging or on holidays and an iPod Touch for the train rides to and from work.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
iPod Nano 2nd Gen

I purchased it sometime in 2007 and I used it until I got my first iPhone... iPhone 4S... in 2011

s-l300.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.