Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Just looking for some information and opinions... I have an iPad 2. It works perfectly fine, but I've been saving up, and with a little extra that I got at Christmas, I have enough for a new one... I'm debating between that or a laptop/ultrabook/Air... (Yes, the last two would take a couple months of extra savings). Don't bother saying anything about the Regina display. It is nice, but my eyes aren't good enough to tell a huge difference. :eek: The picture is a little clearer. Moving on... Is the extra RAM and new processor with better graphics noticeable? Noticeable enough to buy a new one? I've toyed with one in the store, but two minutes doesn't tell you to much... The experience seems a little smoother, but...

Anywho, just looking for opinions on the value of upgrading my iPad. I know a lot of people feel the need to upgrade for a lot of reasons. I'm specifically interested in usage. Will I notice the upgrade or am I better off to upgrading the device that I pair with my iPad?

Thanks for the help!

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Regina does look good

But at this point with ipad 5 rumors in march I would wait

Your ipad 2 still works fine

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If your two works fine, I wouldn't upgrade just yet. If you still find yourself using your current computer a lot, I would upgrade to an Air. If you don't use your computer much because of your iPad, then just hold onto your money.

I have the two and although I do notice some lag, and I would like the retina screen, I'm still not frustrated by it. I don't upgrade until I'm frustrated by my current device; I'm not frustrated enough by he two's speed or its lack of retina.

Wait until the iPad 5 comes out and upgrade to a cheap iPad 4.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Keep your iPad 2 if it still works.

Its worth waiting at least a month or two. If no new iPad shows up in March then go upgrade.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Hold onto your money until next year. The iPad won't go up in price and you'll have a new design and an overall better device for the same money.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
Wait till March on the ipad, wait till summer on the Macbook.. Haswell is coming!

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I just got myself a new laptop to replace my existing 5 years old one. It is pretty cheap these days, even cheaper than the cheapest Ipad mini.

Just to tell you that i dont feel any need or want to upgrade my Ipad 2 at all. Because 3 and 4, dispite being better screen i dont want a heavier device and hotter one. Better get new device to pair with your Ipad or a new laptop. More worthed.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I just got myself a new laptop to replace my existing 5 years old one. It is pretty cheap these days, even cheaper than the cheapest Ipad mini.

Just to tell you that i dont feel any need or want to upgrade my Ipad 2 at all. Because 3 and 4, dispite being better screen i dont want a heavier device and hotter one. Better get new device to pair with your Ipad or a new laptop. More worthed.

The 4th gen does not run hot, at least not mine. And the 4 is only 2 ounces heavier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.