Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Does anyone know what is officially going to be on iOS 7? Not that anyone officially knows since apple doesn't release anything but stuff that's been "leaked"?

kevpan815

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2013
Algonquin, IL U.S.A.
Right now the Members of the Apple Developer Program are testing Apple IOS 6.1 Beta 4 (I know this because I am a Member of the ADP), and I will also note that lately new Beta Releases of Major IOS Upgrades like going from 5.X to 6.X do NOT even begin Beta Testing until the first day of Apple's WWDC Conference (as was the case for Apple IOS 6.0 in 2012), which is usually held in either June or July of each Year and then the final GM Release comes out in the Fall (as was again the case with IOS 6.0 GM Seed in Fall 2012). The time line that I outlined for IOS 7.0 Beginning Beta Testing in June/July and then coming out to the General Public in Fall 2013 is based solely on what happened with IOS 6.0 in 2012 and only Apple knows for sure what the timeline will be for IOS Releases. Hopefully I am not breaking any rules for posting all this as I am new here, I just wanted to let the Other Person know that if he is looking for IOS 7.0, he has a Very Long Wait ahead of him or her. Kevpan815, Apple Developer Program Member.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Also the timeline for major releases usually happen along with hardware launches, next iPhone will probably be released with iOS7.

ShiroiShimaTora

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2012
Virginia
If rumors of an "iPhone 5S" launch in June are true, look for an iOS 7 preview event in March (just like they did for iPhone OS 2-iOS 4). If there isn't a preview, then there won't be a new iPhone till fall and iOS 7 will wait till WWDC in June. New hardware must have new software.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
If rumors of an "iPhone 5S" launch in June are true, look for an iOS 7 preview event in March (just like they did for iPhone OS 2-iOS 4). If there isn't a preview, then there won't be a new iPhone till fall and iOS 7 will wait till WWDC in June. New hardware must have new software.

New hardware could be released with a 6.x release. Sure it needs software but doesn't have be 7.0. Just as long as any new hardware features that require software don't break the OS on other devices.

iPad was released with 3.2 and had unique OS builds till half way through OS 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.