Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
My late 2011 MBP slowed down a bit...i really dont want to do a full restore but it seems like its my only option....any thoughts....

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Open Activity Monitor and select All Processes and then sort by CPU to show you the process(es) slowing down your Mac or speeding up your fan(s) or causing more heat.
And also go to the System Memory* tab and look for Page Outs and Swap used and report back.

Performance Tips For Mac OS X

Page outs/swaps all at zero CPU no larger then 2.7

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I just seems like its really slow. Web is very slow even at school and home.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I just seems like its really slow. Web is very slow even at school and home.
Wifi connection is slow? Apps load slow? Boot is slow? What?

Listen...

If you don't take the time to describe your problem using more than a sentence at a time this will go on forever and you won't get much help

Nov 28, 2010
located
If you don't take the time to describe your problem using more than a sentence at a time this will go on forever and you won't get much help

That is what we are here and paid for. And this is nothing, I remember a case/thread with twenty or so posts until the OP finally told us what problem s/he had, in a thread called "Help". Sometimes it takes its time, often due to the OPs not knowing anything about computers. I wonder how automotive message boards get along or vacuum cleaning boards. Probably like 4chan over there.

Nov 28, 2010
located
You get paid?!?! :eek:

Don't we all? Aren't those points on the bottom right of our posts some kind of credit system, and if we accumulate enough (100 points are 1 credit), we can exchange that for a one day visit at a Skarran spa, though ten credits will get you two starbursts on a Levithan. That's what they told me anyways.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
But I get to see Aeryn Sun in the sauna, though Scorpius is sitting right next to her.

Admittedly, much better than watching Arn bend over to empty the grass bag. :eek:

Anyway, it seems the OP's Mac is too slow now to respond

I'm guessing it's his wifi. Even a sluggish SSD is fast. Perhaps his Safari cache hasn't been emptied since '05. Could be anything though. (Note obligatory and helpful on-topic comments)

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
its been everything my wifi isnt slow because its really fast on my iPad....its the over all speed of safari...but maybe its the placebo affect and i think the whole computer is slow....

Nov 28, 2010
located
its been everything my wifi isnt slow because its really fast on my iPad....its the over all speed of safari...but maybe its the placebo affect and i think the whole computer is slow....

Then what exactly is slow? Opening applications, switching tabs, switching applications, writing text, clicking something and waiting for the reaction? How many tabs are open in Safari? Does it happen in other browsers on the same sites (what exact sites) if it is only Safari related? What Mac OS X version do you use?
Have you taken more than a look at the Performance Tips I linked to earlier? Can you be more precise as asked in the Maximise Your Troubleshooting Experience thread? Do you want to meet Grayza (though admittedly, she is very, very sexy)?

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
seems like its better...but what is faster WIFI or ethernet...using the newest TC and FIOS 25/25MPS....

Nov 28, 2010
located
seems like its better...but what is faster WIFI or ethernet...using the newest TC and FIOS 25/25MPS....

Ethernet, but with your stated internet connection it does not matter, as even older WiFi is faster than your FIOS connection.

And this "seems like its better" is meant to show us, that you performed the performance tips or meant to show us, that the problem somehow went away?

And I guess, this thread will top the other thread mentioned in post #8 with getting any answers from you. Why not, it has been a year, and I probably deserve it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.