Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Hi all. I was quite familiar with windows up until the Vista era. After that I switched to Mac and haven't even thought about going back. Does anyone know the cheapest way (student discount, etc.) to obtain a copy of Windows 8? I don't have Windows on my Mac now (and I really don't want it but exporting to word and such always seems to have formatting errors so rather than just purchasing office I just want the full OS) and I have done some minor research and have found I will need a "builder" edition. I remember something about buying the upgrade version on Vista and installing it again to get a clean install and this bypassed the need to purchase the full version. I don't think technically that'd be illegal (more like cheating the system) but (morally) I could let myself go that route if there is any similar workaround for 8.

Anyway, I'm all over the place with this post but I would just like to know where to buy and what the cheapest and best route for my situation is. I don't want to torrent or anything like that. Besides, it's too much of a hassle. Thanks!

Subthread: Does creating a partition with Windows on it slow boot times or anything like that on the system? I have the original thunderbolt iMac, FWIW.
Oh and another random though (forgive my ADD today), I don't quite know all the details but this Office 365 is a freaking LOAD. Yearly subscription? That's whack.

Last edited:

LWX

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
London
Buy an OEM copy from Amazon. That's what I did, though I went with Windows 7 rather than 8.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
1. There are ways to get free edu addresses.
2. using EDU, OEM, Etc versions may make you feel better because you are paying for them but you are still violating the terms.
3. having said that, TechNet is a great value. You can not only have every version of windows, but you also get office, etc, even for mac.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
1. There are ways to get free edu addresses.
2. using EDU, OEM, Etc versions may make you feel better because you are paying for them but you are still violating the terms.
3. having said that, TechNet is a great value. You can not only have every version of windows, but you also get office, etc, even for mac.

I already have a .edu email address.

If you have a .edu email, you may be able to get a free copy via Microsoft Dreamspark

Other MS stuff available there - sort of like MS crack - first sample is free, then get them hooked as early as possible.

Thanks for the link! Unfortunately, even after signing up, I don't see anything regarding Windows (except Windows 7 Embedded).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-23 at 12.01.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-23 at 12.01.07 AM.png
    259.6 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Student editions are $70. Technet is still the better deal if you can make use of the rest (office, Office for mac, windows 7, Windows XP, etc)

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Student editions are $70. Technet is still the better deal if you can make use of the rest (office, Office for mac, windows 7, Windows XP, etc)

That's the upgrade price. Since I'd be installing on a Mac, I need the system builder version.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
I'm not familiar what technet is/offers. I took a quick look and see that you can download a 90-day trial version.

Technet is a method for testers, developers, engineers to gain access to Microsoft products to perform testing before rolling out a solution.

Technet standard essentially provides 2 valid license keys to every desktop software microsoft makes as well as some server software.

Included are 2 keys to:
Windows XP
Windows XP Pro
Windows Vista (2 keys for each flavor so essentially 8-10 keys)
Windows 7 (2 keys for each flavor so essentially 8-10 keys)
Windows 8 (2 keys for each flavor so essentially 8-10 keys)
MS Office 2003 (2 keys for each flavor so essentially 8-10 keys)
MS Office 2007 (2 keys for each flavor so essentially 8-10 keys)
MS Office 2010 (2 keys for each flavor so essentially 8-10 keys)
MS Office 2011 for Mac (2 keys for each flavor so essentially 8-10 keys)
MS SQL Server
MS Exchange
etc

Cost for all this is $199. To renew it is $149.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.