Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I use an iHome to play music all throughout the day, so the phone is constantly plugged in the entire time. It's also plugged in when I'm driving to/from work so I can listen to podcasts via my car's speakers.

Cant you use an AUX cable? Just for when you want to cycle the battery.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
Cant you use an AUX cable? Just for when you want to cycle the battery.

Yeah I could (and sometimes I do), but if I use the USB port I can control the iPod and Pandora straight from my car's console. If I use AUX, I'd have to use the phone to thumbs-up things on pandora, change stations, etc, which is illegal here in California :D

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
So its not a cycle unless i charge from 0%? If thats the case then i barely have any cycles. My iphone is always plugged in. It barely ever hits 0% but when its not plugged in im losing 1.5% a minute and thats horrible.

Losing 1.5% a minute is indicative of a rouge process. Hard reset your phone or turn if off and on. You can install a system utility app to find out if there is a process causing the CPU to needlessly run at a high percentage. If this is what's happening the phone may feel warm.

Another poster mentioned Apple's recommendations that can be found here. The website is confusing in that as others have mentioned, a cycle is 100% usage, even if the discharge is interrupted by charging. I took that literally a long time ago and now, out of habit, once a month I discharge my phone until it shuts down.

When you leave the phone plugged in the charging circuit will exercise the battery between about 98% and 100% as maintenance but that isn't enough for long term battery health (long lifespan).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.