Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TabBaldwin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
I made the switch to Mac a few months ago, and I'm gradually learning...

Anyway, I'm making a slideshow that will eventually play at my elderly mother's visitation (morbid, I know, doing it in advance, but with such a steep learning curve for me, I had to get started--BTW, she's 94 and in poor health).

I have all my pics scanned and in order and in a slideshow within iPhoto. I've played with various slide settings, etc., and I like how it's going to look. I have the music selected and purchased in iTunes: 3 songs plus 3 "readings" (bible verses).

My question is about putting it all together. For the 3 narrations (2 Psalms and Lord's Prayer), I have 3 slides for each with the written verses (superimposed on a nice landscape scene), so I'll need these to be on screen for the time it takes to "read" them with the iTunes file playing.

I figured I would tie all the iTunes "songs" together using GarageBand and time the readings so I could set those text slides to be on display for the time needed and just keep tweaking it that way. OR, is there a better way?

A friend suggested I make each "song" and the corresponding photos for it into individual slideshows and then stitch (???) them together with iDVD (or maybe she meant just let them play one after the other).

Then, online I was reading that I should be using iMovie to do all this. However, I have yet to play with iMovie, so that's yet another learning curve (and I haven't really gotten into GarageBand yet either).

So, I thought I'd ask for the best way to proceed before I waste time doing one thing only to later learn there was an easier or better way....

MANY thanks for any help, suggestions, hints, etc.
Tracey

svenr

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Don't think you need any of those other programs. I have iPhoto 11 on OS X 10.6.8 and when you set up a new slideshow and select it from the list on the left, you get buttons for Themes, Music and Settings on the bottom right. When you click on Music, you get a translucent overlay that allows you to compile a playlist of multiple songs:
attachment.php

Then click on Settings and another translucent overlay will pop up. On top of that overlay, click on the "This Slide" tab and you can adjust duration for the current picture:
attachment.php

You can go through your entire slideshow this way and fine-tune timing picture by picture. Once you're at it, you can also select individual transitions and effects for each. Takes a lot of effort, but the result should be worth it!

Hail to the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Ramen!

Attachments

• iPhoto-Slideshow-Music.png
    iPhoto-Slideshow-Music.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 836
  • iPhoto-Slideshow-Timing.png
    iPhoto-Slideshow-Timing.png
    35 KB · Views: 745

TabBaldwin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Thanks. I'm familiar with the second part--the slide settings--but I haven't yet played with the music. It sounds like I can just choose several individual music files instead of creating one long music file with them all "stitched" together? I'll play with it and see if it will let me choose the music order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.