Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
My friend got a Mac and got rid of her PC without transferring her iTunes library and her ripped CDs. She has an iPod Classic with all of her ripped CDs on it. She also still owns the CDs. Without re-ripping all the CDs, is there a way to mount the iPod as a hard drive and retrieve the songs back into iTunes?

I get two options when hooking up the iPod to iTunes:

1) Sync the iPod to iTunes which it says will remove all content on the iPod and replace it.

2) View the device in iTunes and play the songs, but I cannot drag them onto the hard drive and then into iTunes.

I want to get the songs off the iPod Classic and into iTunes so they will sync to the iPod from here on out. Is there a way to do this without re-ripping all the CDs? I searched the forums for "iPod Classic" and "recover songs" but no hits. Sorry if this is a duplicate thread. I've seen third-party software that claims to do this sort of thing but it does not look like trustworthy software from reputable developers so I am reluctant to purchase and download any of these tools.

Incidentally, the Mac is running Lion. I found instructions that indicated command-line stuff you could do to get the Mac to recognize the iPod as a hard drive but trying to run those commands in the Lion terminal yielded a message saying the commands were not recognized.

Thanks in advance.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Itunes does not let you transfer songs from the iPod back to the computer. Basically they don't want piracy. But to get the songs of the iPod back to the computer is easy. I use a program called expod. Google it and you should be able to find it plus it's free. Any other questions feel free to ask.

----------

By the way you should always have your iPod set to manually manage all your music so it doesn't accidentally erase all your songs. When you click on the iPod icon you should see a list of options with check boxes make sure manually manage is checked. Good luck

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
There are a number of third party utilities that will pull off playlists and music from your iPod. I haven't used one in a long time, but a quick google of "restore music from ipod" showed alot of options.

Your biggest issue may be the Windows formatted iPod and no Windows machine to work with. Not sure if you can restore a Windows formatted iPod on a Mac. Maybe this isn't an issue any more, but it it one more thing to watch out for...

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
I've used a program called "iPod Access". It's always worked great for me. I think it costs $20 or $30, but that's not a big deal if you have hundreds or thousands of songs.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
Itunes does not let you transfer songs from the iPod back to the computer. Basically they don't want piracy. But to get the songs of the iPod back to the computer is easy. I use a program called expod. Google it and you should be able to find it plus it's free. Any other questions feel free to ask.

I will try expod this weekend.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
There are a number of third party utilities that will pull off playlists and music from your iPod. I haven't used one in a long time, but a quick google of "restore music from ipod" showed alot of options.

Your biggest issue may be the Windows formatted iPod and no Windows machine to work with. Not sure if you can restore a Windows formatted iPod on a Mac. Maybe this isn't an issue any more, but it it one more thing to watch out for...

The great thing about Mac is how well it plays with Windows. I constantly hook up thumb drives, external hard drives, and ipods, formatted for Windows no problem. It's Windows you got to worry about. Windows doesn't seem to like to play nicely with anything formatted for a Mac.

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North
The great thing about Mac is how well it plays with Windows. I constantly hook up thumb drives, external hard drives, and ipods, formatted for Windows no problem. It's Windows you got to worry about. Windows doesn't seem to like to play nicely with anything formatted for a Mac.

This is my experience as well! :rolleyes:

How did it go? Any results?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.