Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:33 PM   #1
EyeAmLuv
macrumors newbie

Pages function, script, or automation?

When composing letters, I use placeholder texts, e.g.:

[date]

[recipient's name]
[recipient's address, line 1]
[recipient's address, line 2]

In each header of the following pages, I have the date and current page displayed automatically, e.g.:

November 13, 2013
Page 2

In addition, I put the recipient's name above that info, so the header looks something like this:

John Doe
November 13, 2013
Page 2

My question: Can I tell Pages to automatically pull the recipient's name from the placeholder and include it in the header, so I won't have to add John Doe on each page myself? Is there some sort of function, script, or automation?

I appreciate any advice!
EyeAmLuv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:16 PM   #2
EyeAmLuv
macrumors newbie

I just figured that it does actually work with Insert > Merge Field, however, any follow-up page has to be created (open) already in order for it to work. If you drag a contact into Pages right at the beginning, it will only work for the address field on the first page. Since Merge Fields have to be active to be recognized, dragging over the contact should be performed as the final step.
EyeAmLuv is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store