Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Can someone steer me in the right direction. I have a Mac app that I am finishing up and I want the user to be able to hover the mouse over a button for a couple seconds and then have a info window pop up to let the user know what that button is for.

Are there any links or tutorials for this?

Thanks.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Thanks! setToolTip looks to be the a good direction to look into and exactly what I need.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
I just wanted to follow up with some code that made this easy for anyone else looking for information. NSButtons come with a Method called setToolTip. I did not need to create an NSView, it was a simple as...

Code:
[myButton setToolTip:@"Hello World"];

After that you just hover the mouse over the button for a couple of seconds and it displayed the text in a yellow box, exactly what I needed and very easy.

Red Menace

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2011
Colorado, USA
Don't forget that an object can use methods that it inherits from its parents. The setToolTip method itself is defined in the NSView class, but is inherited by the button (since it has a view).

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
I stand corrected. I thought I was looking in the NSButton Methods and thought I saw setToolTips Method, but I was actually looking in the NSView Class. The code works fine but you are correct, setToolTips is an inherited method from NSView and not in the NSButton Class.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.