Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HoopTrundler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
This is a two-part question. The second part is, does this protective film work okay as a temporary screen protector? The basic situation is that I'm getting the iPhone 5 tomorrow but I'm unable to get a screen protector until later, so I was wondering if the protective film would work for a couple days, or if touch responsiveness isn't great through the protective film. And yes, I'm aware that I could just remove the film on day one and then clean the screen before putting on the screen protector, but for the purposes of this scenario I'd rather not do that.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
1. Yes, it does.
2. No, you can't use it as a screen protector (at least not a very good one).

You can buy screen protectors with pocket change from Chinese eBay sellers.

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
No, just the thick protective covering all phones come with, I wouldn't use it as a screen protector...A day or two won't hurt as long as you are careful . A case is always more important IMO anyway.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Yes it does come with protective film out of the box. You could leave it on temporarily until you can get your hands on a better screen protector.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
1. Yes, it does.
2. No, you can't use it as a screen protector.

You can buy screen protectors with pocket change from Chinese eBay sellers.

Yes you can, as long as you cut the top where the speaker is off and bottom near the home button. I've used them before until my Power Support Crystal came in.

hakuna-matata

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2011
Yes you can, as long as you cut the top where the speaker is off and bottom near the home button. I've used them before until my Power Support Crystal came in.

+1. did the same thing. ordered Zagg screen protector took it 10 days.

Last edited:

Starrbuck

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Apple has recommended for a couple of years now that screen protectors aren't needed. I didn't have one on my iPhone 4 and just sold it for the 5 with no scratches at all on the face. Don't waste the money.

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
Apple has recommended for a couple of years now that screen protectors aren't needed. I didn't have one on my iPhone 4 and just sold it for the 5 with no scratches at all on the face. Don't waste the money.

I scratched mine, so I bought a screen saver a couple of days later.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008

my exact reason to not use a screen protector and worked out for me ever since

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I cut off the bottom tab that was sticking out and used the protective film as a screen protector for a few weeks. It's effective but makes pressing the home button somewhat difficult (I used the assistive touch thing though) and calls sound super quiet because the ear piece is covered. Otherwise it's a decent temporary solution

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria

They have? I disagree. They're totally worth it. My iPhone 4 screen got minorly scratched because it had no protector on it and was in a bag with other items.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
They have? I disagree. They're totally worth it. My iPhone 4 screen got minorly scratched because it had no protector on it and was in a bag with other items.

That's where you went wrong. Mine stays in a pocket, or on my desk. :cool:

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Screen protectors have been worthless since the iPhone 4 came out. Last time I used one was back when I had an iPhone 3G and haven't gotten any scratches on the screens of any of my iPhones since then.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Screen protectors have been worthless since the iPhone 4 came out. Last time I used one was back when I had an iPhone 3G and haven't gotten any scratches on the screens of any of my iPhones since then.

Believe it or not micro scratches do happen on the screen. I tend to not really care though since its part of the normal wear from daily usage.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I have the back cover it shipped with still on and I got it on launch day. I have a leather flip wallet as well, but figured this would stop the plastic case rubbing the back (after all those scuff gate threads). Happy to say mine is still spotless.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria
That's where you went wrong. Mine stays in a pocket, or on my desk. :cool:

OK, but then you're limited to keeping your iPhone in a pocket with no other items or a desk. It'll get scratched in a car's center console or other container with other items (think about airport security x-ray gates). And I still wouldn't trust that the inside of my pocket is completely non-scratching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.