Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

traycraycray

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Hey everyone,

So I got a new phone today and I restored it with my iCloud backup and I'm trying to send iMessages.. however it keeps sending from my e-mail even though it says my phone number is verified already and there is a check mark next to both my number and email...

However, my number is greyed out.. so I don't know what to do...

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wirelessly posted

Settings > imessage > Send & Recieve.

Ensure "start new conversation" is marked next to your phone number. Now, start a new conversation, don't 'reply' to an old one.

If this doesn't work, turn iMessage off, restart the iPhone, then turn iMessage back on and recheck the above settings.

Dechter

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2010
I also don't have the option to designate my number or AppleID for "start a new conversation." Weird. My iMessage settings page is exactly as OP described.

Edit: I tried toggling iMessage off and back on and after re-enabling my AppleID, I now have the option to "start a new conversation from:" at the bottom of the iMessage settings page. Weird.

traycraycray

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Wirelessly posted

Settings > imessage > Send & Recieve.

Ensure "start new conversation" is marked next to your phone number. Now, start a new conversation, don't 'reply' to an old one.

If this doesn't work, turn iMessage off, restart the iPhone, then turn iMessage back on and recheck the above settings.

this worked! thanks!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.