Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarrenUK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Southampton, UK
I am using time machine on my new iMac for a general backup.

On my old windows PC I used to manually copy music photos and videos to an external NAS drive weekly (or whenever i remembered) as a back up. Also once on there I could watch the videos and view the photos on my iPad.

Now I am trying to do things properly and am looking for the best software to do this for me. Something that will save me the hassle of manually dragging folders across to an external drive.

Any good recommendations?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I use Time Machine (incremental backups) and Carbon Copy Cloner (bootable, readable backups)

Gives me the best of both worlds when it comes to backing up

DarrenUK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Southampton, UK
You are looking for a windows solution or?

No, software for iMac.

----------

I use Time Machine (incremental backups) and Carbon Copy Cloner (bootable, readable backups)

Gives me the best of both worlds when it comes to backing up

"Readable backups" does that mean that the files (videos, photos, music etc) will be able to be seen/used on my iPad?

Does the carbon copy cloner give a choice to which folders/files can be copied to the external hard drive? It is really only photos, music and videos I want to back up.

Thanks.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
No, software for iMac.

----------

"Readable backups" does that mean that the files (videos, photos, music etc) will be able to be seen/used on my iPad?

Does the carbon copy cloner give a choice to which folders/files can be copied to the external hard drive? It is really only photos, music and videos I want to back up.

Thanks.

You can choose what to backup with CCC. Super duper is another back up solution similar to CCC.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
personally I use an rsync script that runs daily to copy my stuff to the external disk (which is mounted via a samba share on mum's windows laptop, and she has a program to copy her stuff to my external in a similar manner). I am anal and have a weekly rsync that copies to a remote server over ssh also.

For local simple software I too have to add a recommendation for Carbon Copy Cloner. Its pretty flexible.

On a windows host AllWaySync is a good alternative that I have been using for many years. This is what I setup on mum's laptop and its pretty simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.