Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beatledud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2006
So I'm making the great migration of my TV show library into iTunes and thus available on my Apple TV 3.

Well I've discovered just now what many have already known. The stupid way Apple sorts shows by season only, ie Big Bang Season 1, Big Bang Season 2, then Dexter Season 1, Dexter Season 2, Fire Fly Season 1, etc. This seems idiotic rather than sorting by TV Show and then seasons within that.

Any solutions to this? I read in this thread about making Playlist Folders for each TV Show and then Smart Playlists inside for each season. This is a great idea but then how do you find the playlists on the Apple TV? The thread didn't explain how to do this.

Any other ideas?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
So I'm making the great migration of my TV show library into iTunes and thus available on my Apple TV 3.

Well I've discovered just now what many have already known. The stupid way Apple sorts shows by season only, ie Big Bang Season 1, Big Bang Season 2, then Dexter Season 1, Dexter Season 2, Fire Fly Season 1, etc. This seems idiotic rather than sorting by TV Show and then seasons within that.

Any solutions to this? I read in this thread about making Playlist Folders for each TV Show and then Smart Playlists inside for each season. This is a great idea but then how do you find the playlists on the Apple TV? The thread didn't explain how to do this.

Any other ideas?

I am not in front of mine right now, but I think you go into Settings->Audi0/Video->Playlists and set to "All" instead of "Music".

Currently there is no way to fix the lack of folders though in the Apple TV software. It is RIDICULOUS! One of my biggest complaints, especially since the Apple TV 1 had this feature.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I am not in front of mine right now, but I think you go into Settings->Audi0/Video->Playlists and set to "All" instead of "Music".

Currently there is no way to fix the lack of folders though in the Apple TV software. It is RIDICULOUS! One of my biggest complaints, especially since the Apple TV 1 had this feature.

^ that sounds right. I have all of my TV shows grouped that way, means an extra menu click or two but it makes navigating the TV shows much easier. I also have a playlist for new , unwatched episodes, so that is a one stop list for all new stuff.

I do the same thing with movies to group series and actors.

beatledud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2006
Do these new playlists show up in the Movies and TV Show section or the Music section?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.