Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wickedking94

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Since the topic of the less then spectacular performance of my MBP has been discussed to death, is there at least a way to make it run quieter and possibly cooler? Because whenever I play MineCraft or GMOD the fan on this thing starts going so fast and loud I can barely hear the game audio even with the volume on maximum.

Are there any 3rd party fan/heatsinks that are quieter and possibly more efficient at cooling this thing? Or failing that is there anything I can do to make the fans run quieter or keep my MBP cooler so the fan isnt running as much?

I've already cleaned out the fan and vents with compressed air.

Or could cleaning off the old thermal paste from the heatsink, CPU, and GPU (yes I know how to do that without breaking it) and applying new paste help boost the thermal conductivity?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Or could cleaning off the old thermal paste from the heatsink, CPU, and GPU (yes I know how to do that without breaking it) and applying new paste help boost the thermal conductivity?

Yes do that, but that will most likely be not enough.

If the MBP heatsink is coupled to the casing so heat is dissipated by the external surfaces a cooling pad with big but slow churning fan may help.

External power speakers to overpower the fans' noise?

wickedking94

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Hmm. If it wont do much good then no point taking the logic board out of my macbook and messing with it. Dont know how well a cooling pad would work on this....One degin feature I like with the retina macbooks is they have vents on the side/bottom. Those would go well with one of those cooling pads.

Getting external speakers wouldnt really help because then they would be really loud to drown out the fan and I live with other people to I can have everything super loud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.