Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Hello all...!

So, a coworker buys a 27 inch iMac 2012. For work and personal related issues she needs now more screen real state. Also have to reuse a big chunk of info stored in a FireWire 800 HDD external. So she asked around and becomes to the conclusion she needs a Thunderbolt display. But talking with me, I suggested that a working 27 inch (not neccesarily Apple branded) and a Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter will fit the bill for her and saves her money. So, she have now two choices:

Choice 1: Buy the Thunderbolt display, Apple branded
Choice 2: Buy another cheap display and the Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter

And here I comes with the questions:

1-Price-wise what option seems better for you?
2-Going into choice 2, what monitors can you recommend in the cheapo range?:D

Thanks in advance....!

:):apple:

Last edited:

SDDave2007

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Why not a 27" HDMI monitor and a $30 Apple adapter (Thunderbolt to HDMI).
The TB ports double as MiniDisplay ports on the 27" iMAC

And that is exactly what I did... (using dual 19" monitors from DELL)

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
And.....

Because there is a slight difference between 1080p on a 19" screen and 1080p on a 27" screen.

She REALLY needs the extra screen real state on the 27 inch. Not for viewing movies or something like that, but for really extend the current desktop in her 27 inch Mac.

And thanks again Giuly for weigh in and post...!

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
The advantage of the Tbolt display is "peace of mind" and that translates to emotional.
The advantage of 3rd party monitor is price and possibly superior monitor. (NEC PA series as example) Just make sure you account for all the right connections.

As for Firewire - this should be a non-issue. If the external drive is a simple enclosure where the drive can be taken out - then transfer it over to a USB 3 enclosure. If the drive cannot come out of the FW enclosure, consider buying a USB 3 drive. Remember, USB 3 is faster than FW800.

Last - consider various external bus adapters -
Matrox
Buffalo
LaCie
and of course the full size Seagate Go-Flex drive. (The smaller one is great but has no ability to continue to daisychain.)

Last edited:

roow110

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2011
If money is not a factor, I strongly suggest going with the Thunderbolt display. It is one of the best displays on the market and beautifully matches the aesthetics of the iMac not to mention is extremely compatible with Macs and makes things streamlined and easy.

That said, it is quite expensive. If she cares more about price, I'd say go with another brand. My #1 suggestion is the series I2757FH 27" LED monitor. I just picked one up for $250. It's a descent monitor and extremely affordable and quite stylish as well.

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
If you decide to get an Apple Thunderbolt Display, I also suggest to get the Apple Protection Plan for it because the dust may get into it in a year or so.

My ACD got dust in it not long after the one-year warranty was expired.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
After done....

a little bit research and check out in Amazon, Newegg (merchants I trust) and the Web, I come with a short list for my friend. I used the following criteria:

-Cheaper than Apple Thunderbolt, because price is a little bit of an issue.
-HDMI enabled. Because I have more experience with HDMI than DVI, so I feel more confident recommending something I know

I come with the following list:

SAMSUNG C27A650X
Dell S2740L 927M9-IPS-LED 27-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor
Viewsonic VX2753MH-LED 27-Inch LED Monitor
Samsung T27A300 27" Class LED HDTV Monitor
Hanns-G HZ281HPB (out of stock in Newegg....:( )
Asus VE276Q

Answering the post about the FireWire drive, it is one where the drive cant be taken out. So, in this part of the problem, I assume we can settle in the Thunderbolt-to-Firewire adapter from Apple.

So feel free to advice about these last findings. And thanks who posted and give useful advice.

Last edited:

Giuly

macrumors 68040
HDMI is the same as DVI with sound, there are adapter cables without any electronics inside available. One is just for computers, the other one for TVs, but the signal is the same.

And a 27" screen with a resolution of 1920x1080 won't be great at all for this. A cheap display with the same resolution as the iMac would be the Monoprice 27" monitor for $390 plus a Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter or the Dell UltraSharp U2713HM.

Last edited:

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Thanks Giuly.....

HDMI is the same as DVI with sound, there are adapter cables without any electronics inside available. One is just for computers, the other one for TVs, but the signal is the same.

And a 27" screen with a resolution of 1920x1080 won't be great at all for this. A cheap display with the same resolution as the iMac would be the Monoprice 27" monitor for $390 plus a Dell UltraSharp U2713HM.

for the advice and light up my sometimes shortsighted approach. The first monitor looks good. Link B dont work, tough...:(

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
If money is not a factor, I strongly suggest going with the Thunderbolt display. It is one of the best displays on the market and beautifully matches the aesthetics of the iMac not to mention is extremely compatible with Macs and makes things streamlined and easy.

That said, it is quite expensive. If she cares more about price, I'd say go with another brand. My #1 suggestion is the series I2757FH 27" LED monitor. I just picked one up for $250. It's a descent monitor and extremely affordable and quite stylish as well.

If they want a thunderbolt display that matches precisely, waiting for an update might be advisable. They are seemingly the same panel with different treatments, but the differences in reflectivity would annoy me personally. The reflectivity would annoy me in general, but if the person in question already owns an imac, they were fine with it.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hello all...!

So, a coworker buys a 27 inch iMac 2012. For work and personal related issues she needs now more screen real state. Also have to reuse a big chunk of info stored in a FireWire 800 HDD external. So she asked around and becomes to the conclusion she needs a Thunderbolt display. But talking with me, I suggested that a working 27 inch (not neccesarily Apple branded) and a Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter will fit the bill for her and saves her money. So, she have now two choices:

Choice 1: Buy the Thunderbolt display, Apple branded
Choice 2: Buy another cheap display and the Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter

And here I comes with the questions:

1-Price-wise what option seems better for you?
2-Going into choice 2, what monitors can you recommend in the cheapo range?:D

Thanks in advance....!

Price wise usually Samsung or Viewsonic yield lower prices but better to check out their demo units that may help deciding. LEDs usually have narrower viewing angles as the images becomes "reddish". For the Apple display it's just too glossy but depending on one's purpose. To some this is acceptable.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
She REALLY needs the extra screen real state on the 27 inch. Not for viewing movies or something like that, but for really extend the current desktop in her 27 inch Mac.

And thanks again Giuly for weigh in and post...!

You'll definitely need a high resolution monitor. Most you won't be able to find at Best Buy or other electronic stores. The top choices in my book are the Dell Ultrasharp and the Thunderbolt Display.

I would go w/ the latter :)

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Settled in.....

the Dell monitor Giuly recommended. Thanks all for the advice. Agree in the need for the more resolution possible, within budget.

Will post back with report the next days....Thanks again for the insight to overcome this situation....:D

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Stage: Done.....

Bought the monitor Giuly recommends (DELL) and the FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter from Apple. All working together and flawlesly....:D

Thanks again for all the input and advice.....!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.