Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:54 AM   #1
Frign
macrumors member

[Mashup] The new Mac Pro (2013) - with Retina Display?

Greetings,

With so much time left for the new Mac Pros to be (allegedly) released in early 2013, I thought I might work on a mashup on how the new Mac Pro might look like, judging from Apple's current direction of product-design. This is my result:

Thumb resize.

Wallpapers: 1080p | 1440p

Please tell me what you think! [It's a joke ofc, it would be awful to see this next year]

cheers

FRIGN

FRIGN.de

Last edited by grapes911; Nov 25, 2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: changed img to timg
Frign is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:09 AM   #2
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

You got it right: no CD/DVD anymore.

27" retina -> no way; when luck 17" or 21". But of course never in MP. Looks too much like a thick iMac.

You could also design an iPad holder on the side where an iPad get slides in and act as little monitor.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:26 AM   #3
El Awesome
macrumors 6502

That thing looks awful, please not. I rather hope they'll bring a 30" retina-cinema display.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:29 AM   #4
Frign
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
You got it right: no CD/DVD anymore.

27" retina -> no way; when luck 17" or 21". But of course never in MP. Looks too much like a thick iMac.

You could also design an iPad holder on the side where an iPad get slides in and act as little monitor.
Or how about a nice little dock atop?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Awesome View Post
That thing looks awful, please not. I rather hope they'll bring a 30" retina-cinema display.
No question, I was just considering recent activity on Apple's side. See it as a joke

FRIGN.de
Frign is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:46 AM   #5
El Awesome
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frign View Post
No question, I was just considering recent activity on Apple's side. See it as a joke
Even if this thing became reality I'd consider it as a joke :P
El Awesome is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:50 AM   #6
Frign
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Awesome View Post
Even if this thing became reality I'd consider it as a joke :P
Haha, definitely , but I don't really hope it will, or else, all hope would be lost...

FRIGN.de
Frign is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:41 AM   #7
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Haha, definitely , but I don't really hope it will, or else, all hope would be lost...
You can say that again!
AnonMac50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:51 PM   #8
scottsjack
macrumors 65816

Excellent! Isn't it supposed to be only 5mm thick at the edges?

Then again, not really. It's a Pro machine and should be no less than 12mm thick at the edges.
scottsjack is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:00 PM   #9
Frign
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsjack View Post
Excellent! Isn't it supposed to be only 5mm thick at the edges?

Then again, not really. It's a Pro machine and should be no less than 12mm thick at the edges.
Exactly! But hey, you forgot to mention the magical resolution of the Retina Display!
Even though it is not 12mm on the edges, Apple managed to reduce the number of serial ports dramatically! On the back we have 12 thunderbolt-ports which allows you to plug in many different kinds of adaptors, each only 30 bucks or more.

Isn't this a deal?

FRIGN.de
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:12 PM   #10
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
On the back we have 12 thunderbolt-ports which allows you to plug in many different kinds of adaptors:
12 displays, MacVideoWall ...

One more: looks very similar to the Xserve. Can I rack mount your MP ?
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:21 PM   #11
Frign
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
12 displays, MacVideoWall ...

One more: looks very similar to the Xserve. Can I rack mount your MP ?
No, you can't, but you can daisy-chain multiple Mac Pros together (using one of the twelve thunderbolt-ports). If you tried stacking them atop, you would get serious heat-issues.
Nevertheless, as this model has been designed for pros, real pros don't need stacked computers. Pros need 12 thunderbolt ports, a Retina display and a thin and light desktop computer, which is simplified by any means possible.

FRIGN.de
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:59 PM   #12
d-m-a-x
macrumors 6502

mashup
Attached Images

d-m-a-x is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:27 AM   #13
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
No, you can't, but you can daisy-chain multiple Mac Pros together (using one of the twelve thunderbolt-ports). If you tried stacking them atop, you would get serious heat-issues.
Nevertheless, as this model has been designed for pros, real pros don't need stacked computers. Pros need 12 thunderbolt ports, a Retina display and a thin and light desktop computer, which is simplified by any means possible.
No one is likely to need 12 thunderbolt ports on a single computer. It's not like you'd have enough lanes anyway outside of dual package models. They take roughly 4 each. I don't think there's even an efficient way to cram that many thunderbolt chips onto a logic board design. The chips used up until now support up to 2 ports per chip. They use a single chip and run the ports off that. It's unlikely that you'll see anything beyond that. USB is the only one where you commonly see a massive array of ports. With the higher bandwidth ports, you typically get a few at most. I don't think thin and light matters either. I can't tell if this is sarcasm. The hardware used should determine the form factor, and the current case is really a leftover relic from the G5 days. It could be designed in a more efficient manner today, but thin shouldn't be the ultimate goal. The goals should center around a silent stable machine with all required features.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:30 AM   #14
All Taken
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
No one is likely to need 12 thunderbolt ports on a single computer. It's not like you'd have enough lanes anyway outside of dual package models. They take roughly 4 each. I don't think there's even an efficient way to cram that many thunderbolt chips onto a logic board design. The chips used up until now support up to 2 ports per chip. They use a single chip and run the ports off that. It's unlikely that you'll see anything beyond that. USB is the only one where you commonly see a massive array of ports. With the higher bandwidth ports, you typically get a few at most. I don't think thin and light matters either. I can't tell if this is sarcasm. The hardware used should determine the form factor, and the current case is really a leftover relic from the G5 days. It could be designed in a more efficient manner today, but thin shouldn't be the ultimate goal. The goals should center around a silent stable machine with all required features.
Massive face palm - How do you survive outside?

Last edited by All Taken; Nov 26, 2012 at 01:35 AM.
All Taken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:46 AM   #15
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Taken View Post
Massive face palm - How do you survive outside?
Haha..it was embedded within other semi-plausible yet exaggerated things. Typically I detect sarcasm either via expression or tone of voice. I hate interpreting it through written wording.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:50 AM   #16
El Awesome
macrumors 6502

This is why this mashup is actually pretty cool - it's more plausible that I want it to be, folliwing the current direction of Apple
El Awesome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:07 PM   #17
Frign
macrumors member

Quote:
Thank you for your extensive reply, I definitely agree. To be honest, I made up this post entirely in a sarcastic manner, so don't take it seriously, but I also agree to your later reply, that sarcasm is hard to spot in written word.

FRIGN.de
Frign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:07 PM   #18
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Thank you for your extensive reply, I definitely agree. To be honest, I made up this post entirely in a sarcastic manner, so don't take it seriously, but I also agree to your later reply, that sarcasm is hard to spot in written word.
I know the original post was a joke. I thought it was funny There are a few people on here who complain about the size of the mac pro or suggest that it's "overkill" primarily due to its size and price rather than the actual base hardware configuration. I hope I didn't kill the joke
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:10 PM   #19
Frign
macrumors member

Quote:
I know the original post was a joke. I thought it was funny There are a few people on here who complain about the size of the mac pro or suggest that it's "overkill" primarily due to its size and price rather than the actual base hardware configuration. I hope I didn't kill the joke
Nah, don't worry. Do you think my display would work after having it daisy-chained over 12 different hard-drives?
I have 12 thunderbolt ports, so I theoretically can connect 144 displays! AWESOME !

FRIGN.de
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:34 PM   #20
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Nah, don't worry. Do you think my display would work after having it daisy-chained over 12 different hard-drives?
I have 12 thunderbolt ports, so I theoretically can connect 144 displays! AWESOME !
144 displays would be awesome. Perhaps you should mock those up displaying a giant Steve Jobs face.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 03:04 PM   #21
Frign
macrumors member

Wwdc

So, let's see what WWDC will bring us!

FRIGN.de
Old Aug 3, 2013, 09:55 PM   #22
garirry
macrumors 6502

Quote:
So, let's see what WWDC will bring us!
Results: ******
garirry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 02:51 AM   #23
Frign
macrumors member

It's a disgrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garirry View Post
Results: ******
Yes, it's horrible. I like the design, I like the ideas they came up with, but they kind of missed the point of the Mac Pro: Being able to upgrade it.

In the end, it turns out to be yet another consumer-product with less focus on the professional market.

FRIGN.de

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Tags
2013, mac pro, mashup, retina display, rumor