Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coffee Minutes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Since the new 2012 iMac's no longer come with a disc drive, is it still possible to use X-Plane?

I do not currently own it, but would like to purchase a copy. Unfortunately, it requires that you keep the DVD in the ODD slot.

Is it possible to install and RUN the program without having the CD/DVD mounted?

I realize I could buy an Apple SuperDrive, but have heard bad things about it and it makes no sense to have as I do not use DVDs at all. I have no problems that the new iMac's ship w/o the drive.

Just looking for a solution to operate X-Plane without a disk drive.

Will a USB3 or SD card work?

Is it possible to burn the X-Plane for Mac CD/DVD onto a USB3 and run the program off it?

Any solutions besides investing in an external drive?

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
X-Plane for home use has a USB key available for $29.99. You also need to download a driver. X-Plane says the keys cost them $30.00 each.

Coffee Minutes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Thanks!

I thought the USB key was only for professional use and even then, you STILL need to install the software via DVD.

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
Any solutions besides investing in an external drive?

Investment? Compared to the rest of the system, they are nearly free.

I think a decent quality, 3rd party external DVD writer runs about $30-$40. I have one that I use across a few different systems on the rare times that I need one.

crows

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2012
I don't have my iMac yet but I do have x-plane 10 and I can tell you that if you have another computer just write the dvd images to an external hard drive and install the software by mounting the images, If im not mistaken the demo version of x-plane 10 just needs the disc to be in the drive to be a full version so you can download and install from the internet, what I do is I mount disk #1 image to a virtual dvd drive and run x-plane and it works fine

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
X-Plane for home use has a USB key available for $29.99. You also need to download a driver. X-Plane says the keys cost them $30.00 each.

Make a .cdr image of the X-Plane 1 DVD using disk utility. Mount that instead of the physical DVD, off you go. No need to buy their ridiculous $30 USB key. I'm not sure why more people haven't figured this out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.