Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Benjer
macrumors member

Wifi Drives - Alternative to Time Capsule?

I need to get a bigger (or additional) external hard drive, mainly for backups and storing family photos and videos. It would be nice to have a Time Capsule for wireless backups using Time Machine, but 1) we don't need 2TB of storage and 2) $299 (or $249 refurbished) is more than I'd like to spend for an external hard drive, especially since an additional 500GB drive would do us just fine.

Are there any alternative setups to the Time Capsule that would allow us to use Time Machine via WiFi? I've heard that it's not possible to use Time Machine with an external drive connected to a wireless router via USB. Is that true? Are there other solutions?
Benjer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:56 AM   #2
talmy
macrumors 68040

Some Network Attached Storage (NAS) systems support TimeMachine. All would support external storage. A server computer would also work (it does for me). If you already have a wireless router these might be less expensive than a TimeCapsule (if you can find a good price or buy used). If you need a wireless router a TimeCapsule is still probably the best buy.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice