Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:28 PM   #1
cjgonzales1900
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Will this RAM work in....

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-1600MH...16gb+ddr3+1600

Can I use this memory in my mac mini? And does anyone have the memory? Any Problems?

http://www.corsair.com/en/memory-by-...2a1600c11.html

I have the Mac Mini Late 2012 i5 2.5GHz.
__________________
2013 MacBook Pro Retina 13" 2.5GHz/i5/8GB/256GB SSD
2013 iPhone 5s 1.2GHz/A7/1GB/32GB
2013 Mac Mini 2.5GHz/i5/16GB/120GB SSD+500GB HD
cjgonzales1900 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Spink10
macrumors 68020
 
Spink10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Yes it will work.
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:55 AM   #3
cjgonzales1900
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink10 View Post
Yes it will work.
Thank you, I wasn't sure since it said 1333MHz speed but I was researching and it seems people have gotten it to work with no problems, and its a decent price!
__________________
2013 MacBook Pro Retina 13" 2.5GHz/i5/8GB/256GB SSD
2013 iPhone 5s 1.2GHz/A7/1GB/32GB
2013 Mac Mini 2.5GHz/i5/16GB/120GB SSD+500GB HD
cjgonzales1900 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:23 AM   #4
TWO2SEVEN
macrumors Demi-God
 
TWO2SEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgonzales1900 View Post
Thank you, I wasn't sure since it said 1333MHz speed but I was researching and it seems people have gotten it to work with no problems, and its a decent price!
I ordered from this link yesterday. I should have it today, but I may not be able to install it until tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1529841
__________________
Two2seveN
www.facebook.com/applefixdfw
Instagram: @AppleFixDFW
TWO2SEVEN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:27 AM   #5
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO2SEVEN View Post
I ordered from this link yesterday. I should have it today, but I may not be able to install it until tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1529841
I ordered 3 pairs of it. the price doubled over night 48 to 96. my ram is coming on thur. i have some 2011 and some 2012 minis I will try it on both mini's
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:48 AM   #6
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
I ordered 3 pairs of it. the price doubled over night 48 to 96. my ram is coming on thur. i have some 2011 and some 2012 minis I will try it on both mini's
It looks like Amazon sold out and now it's being sold by another retailer. I wonder if Amazon was just trying to unload their stock of this RAM? No idea. Glad I ordered a set!
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:33 AM   #7
TWO2SEVEN
macrumors Demi-God
 
TWO2SEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
I ordered 3 pairs of it. the price doubled over night 48 to 96. my ram is coming on thur. i have some 2011 and some 2012 minis I will try it on both mini's
Wow, I'm glad I ordered it when I did.
__________________
Two2seveN
www.facebook.com/applefixdfw
Instagram: @AppleFixDFW
TWO2SEVEN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:51 AM   #8
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
It looks like Amazon sold out and now it's being sold by another retailer. I wonder if Amazon was just trying to unload their stock of this RAM? No idea. Glad I ordered a set!
yeah I want to thank you for posting it. I am going to build a few 2011 base mac minis with 1.25tb fusion and 16gb ram. I am glad I got this price.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:39 PM   #9
cjgonzales1900
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Thanks for all the replies guys! I cant wait to see what people say about this ram after they get it installed. I am planning on ordering it within the next few days if they dont run out. Let me know how the ram is running in your machines. Thanks again.
__________________
2013 MacBook Pro Retina 13" 2.5GHz/i5/8GB/256GB SSD
2013 iPhone 5s 1.2GHz/A7/1GB/32GB
2013 Mac Mini 2.5GHz/i5/16GB/120GB SSD+500GB HD
cjgonzales1900 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:47 PM   #10
TWO2SEVEN
macrumors Demi-God
 
TWO2SEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgonzales1900 View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys! I cant wait to see what people say about this ram after they get it installed. I am planning on ordering it within the next few days if they dont run out. Let me know how the ram is running in your machines. Thanks again.
Just got the RAM and installed it. The Mini is recognizing it as the full 16gb. Opening multiple apps is much faster. I'm still crippled by my lame Time Warner internet though.
__________________
Two2seveN
www.facebook.com/applefixdfw
Instagram: @AppleFixDFW
TWO2SEVEN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:55 PM   #11
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO2SEVEN View Post
Just got the RAM and installed it. The Mini is recognizing it as the full 16gb. Opening multiple apps is much faster. I'm still crippled by my lame Time Warner internet though.
good to know.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:55 PM   #12
cjgonzales1900
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO2SEVEN View Post
Just got the RAM and installed it. The Mini is recognizing it as the full 16gb. Opening multiple apps is much faster. I'm still crippled by my lame Time Warner internet though.
Does the Mini read the ram as running at 1600MHz or 1333MHz?
__________________
2013 MacBook Pro Retina 13" 2.5GHz/i5/8GB/256GB SSD
2013 iPhone 5s 1.2GHz/A7/1GB/32GB
2013 Mac Mini 2.5GHz/i5/16GB/120GB SSD+500GB HD
cjgonzales1900 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:38 AM   #13
TWO2SEVEN
macrumors Demi-God
 
TWO2SEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgonzales1900 View Post
Does the Mini read the ram as running at 1600MHz or 1333MHz?
I will check it when I get home.
__________________
Two2seveN
www.facebook.com/applefixdfw
Instagram: @AppleFixDFW
TWO2SEVEN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:51 AM   #14
cjgonzales1900
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO2SEVEN View Post
I will check it when I get home.
Thanks!
__________________
2013 MacBook Pro Retina 13" 2.5GHz/i5/8GB/256GB SSD
2013 iPhone 5s 1.2GHz/A7/1GB/32GB
2013 Mac Mini 2.5GHz/i5/16GB/120GB SSD+500GB HD
cjgonzales1900 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:04 AM   #15
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgonzales1900 View Post
Thanks!
I can almost guarantee it is running 1333mhz. However, the real question is whether or not it makes a difference. Tonight I am going to run some benchmarks comparing the 4GB @ 1600mhz that my mini came with (just received last night) to the 16GB @ 1333mhz kit I purchased to see whether there is a slow down by dropping to slower memory or whether the 16GB makes up for the loss in memory bandwidth. I just received my Mini last night otherwise I probably would have run these benchmarks already.
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:37 AM   #16
Giuly
macrumors 68040
 
Giuly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
whether there is a slow down by dropping to slower memory or whether the 16GB makes up for the loss in memory bandwidth.
Unless you've got 1333MHz with a much lower latency than the 1600MHz Apple's using, it will be slower.

But when applications completely use up the RAM on your Mac, the hard drive will be used as RAM - which is about 1/2 as fast as FPM DRAM, or 66MHz SDR if it's an SSD (FPM<EDO<SDR<DDR<DDR2<DDR3). With 16GB, this just happens much later, with the goal being that this doesn't happen at all.

Last edited by Giuly; Jan 25, 2013 at 09:04 AM.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:45 AM   #17
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
Unless you've got 1333MHz with a much lower latency than the 1600MHz Apple's using, it will be slower. But when applications completely use up the RAM on your Mac, the hard drive will be used as RAM - which is about as fast as FPM DRAM, or SDRAM if it's an SSD (FPM<EDO<SDRAM<DDR<DDR2<DDR3).
Obviously it will be slower, but how much? 3% 10%? That's really the question. I purchased it because I got it for $48. And my wife has my 2011 Macbook Pro, so if it is a 10% hit I'll purchase 1600 and move the 1333mhz to my Wife's Macbook Pro (not that she really needs it, but what the heck).

And actually, it is lower latency. Generally the 1333mhz "Mac" RAM has a cas latency of 9, where as 1600mhz is 11. So that's what I am going to find out, what is the true "hit"? Does the slight drop in speed, but lower latency equal a minimal hit or does it really make a huge difference?

EDIT: And you really don't need to "explain" to me how a computer works and what happens when you run out of RAM. My point about the "whether the 16GB makes up for it" is that I regularly see Mt. Lion using 2+ GB of RAM add in the fact that 512MB is being used by the GPU means you really only have 1-1.5GB available for applications and what not. If a benchmark is using up more than 1GB then by just adding more RAM in general (whether 8GB or 16GB) would more than make up for the slight loss in memory bandwidth.
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD

Last edited by paulrbeers; Jan 25, 2013 at 08:51 AM.
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:53 AM   #18
TWO2SEVEN
macrumors Demi-God
 
TWO2SEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjgonzales1900 View Post
Does the Mini read the ram as running at 1600MHz or 1333MHz?
It's reading it as 1333Mhz

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359125615.237904.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	392427

I have noticed a big difference in how quickly apps open and the usability of multiple tabs in Safari. As I said before, the only thing holding me back now is my ISP.
__________________
Two2seveN
www.facebook.com/applefixdfw
Instagram: @AppleFixDFW
TWO2SEVEN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:59 AM   #19
TWO2SEVEN
macrumors Demi-God
 
TWO2SEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
I can almost guarantee it is running 1333mhz. However, the real question is whether or not it makes a difference. Tonight I am going to run some benchmarks comparing the 4GB @ 1600mhz that my mini came with (just received last night) to the 16GB @ 1333mhz kit I purchased to see whether there is a slow down by dropping to slower memory or whether the 16GB makes up for the loss in memory bandwidth. I just received my Mini last night otherwise I probably would have run these benchmarks already.
I posted my experience below. I will say that I am just going on how the Mini feels for my needs. I am looking forward to seeing what your tests show.
__________________
Two2seveN
www.facebook.com/applefixdfw
Instagram: @AppleFixDFW
TWO2SEVEN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:16 AM   #20
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO2SEVEN View Post
I posted my experience below. I will say that I am just going on how the Mini feels for my needs. I am looking forward to seeing what your tests show.
And that's what I am really expecting. That there is only a slight performance hit (less than 3%) that will never be "felt" in real life use (I've seen #'s like it takes 10% performance gain or better to "feel" the difference). My guess is that I will be more than happy with the 1333mhz RAM...
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:04 AM   #21
Giuly
macrumors 68040
 
Giuly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
And actually, it is lower latency. Generally the 1333mhz "Mac" RAM has a cas latency of 9, where as 1600mhz is 11. So that's what I am going to find out, what is the true "hit"? Does the slight drop in speed, but lower latency equal a minimal hit or does it really make a huge difference?
1333/9=148.11
1600/9=177.77 (Kingston HyperX 1600MHz CL9)

∴ +20.03% (1600MHz CL10 => +8.03%)

Last edited by Giuly; Jan 25, 2013 at 10:10 AM.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:26 AM   #22
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
1333/9=148.11
1600/9=177.77 (Kingston HyperX 1600MHz CL9)

∴ +20.03% (1600MHz CL10 => +8.03%)
*facepalm* Umm no doubt? But what does that really mean in more real world scenarios? How does that affect say Geekbench scores? How about GPU/FPS? You know, more real world stuff? Generally speaking 20% additional memory bandwidth hasn't yielded much more than a few percentage points in more real world benchmarks. Congrats your memory pushes 20% more data than mine, but your handbrake encoding completed only 10 seconds faster than mine. Good job!
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:29 PM   #23
TWO2SEVEN
macrumors Demi-God
 
TWO2SEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Plano, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
And that's what I am really expecting. That there is only a slight performance hit (less than 3%) that will never be "felt" in real life use (I've seen #'s like it takes 10% performance gain or better to "feel" the difference). My guess is that I will be more than happy with the 1333mhz RAM...
That's how I'm feeling. $50 well spent.
__________________
Two2seveN
www.facebook.com/applefixdfw
Instagram: @AppleFixDFW
TWO2SEVEN is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would this ram work? Ih8reno PowerPC Macs 5 Feb 3, 2014 06:21 PM
Will this RAM work? Dopeyman PowerPC Macs 2 Sep 8, 2013 05:19 PM
Will this RAM work? Mooey Mac mini 1 Nov 1, 2012 08:43 PM
Will this Ram work for me? Fouracre44 MacBook Pro 0 Aug 21, 2012 01:15 AM
Will this ram work?? darrenlhr MacBook Pro 5 Jun 18, 2012 10:18 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC