Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjm934

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
Im currently looking into purchasing my first apple notebook. Im not sure which model will be sufficent and if i should wait to purchase. I will be using the computer for very basic needs (ie. web,video watching, word documents, excel and very little picture storage. Im just tired of my PC troubles is my reason for trying something new. Also, the computer will be used at home 95 percent of the time. So, im looking for suggestions on model and configuration that would be suitable and should i wait a few months for new models or purchase now. Thanks for your time.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sounds like from your description, the 13" MBA or 13" MBP may fit the bill. The 11" MBA could be an option if you like the smaller form factor, personally I think the 11" screen is too small for me.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Sounds like from your description, the 13" MBA or 13" MBP may fit the bill. The 11" MBA could be an option if you like the smaller form factor, personally I think the 11" screen is too small for me.

Seconded. I own the MBA, and because of the solid state drive, it will definitely handle anything you can throw at it (you personally, based on what you said you will do) with 0 issues. I would recommend the MBA over the MBP unless you upgrade the hard drive on the MBP to the SSD (solid state drive). Just to give you the best possible experience.

Also, what's your budget?

jjm934

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
Prefer not to spend over 1300 on the computer itself. But i would be willing to go up 1500 USD.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Prefer not to spend over 1300 on the computer itself. But i would be willing to go up 1500 USD.

I'd recommend the air then. You can get the 13inch with a 128 SSD for < $1300. I think the 256 is $1500. Maybe you can get an education discount or something?

I think it's worth it for the 256 if you plan on this being a long term computer. It'll do everything you want, really well, for a long time.

I really don't think anybody should buy a computer without a solid state drive anymore

also, check out the refurbished section.

I have this: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC966/refurbished-macbook-air-17ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

Really happy with it.

You should buy this though:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD232LL/A/refurbished-macbook-air-18ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

that's probably the best possible deal for you for your needs and budget. I think I can probably get some seconds on this if anybody else is reading

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.