Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
I compared the 32-bit results as I do not have the paid-for Geekbench on MBA (yet). My MacPro scores 9543 in 64-bit mode.

The scores aren't close, but it is interesting (if not all that surprising) to see that the MBA outperforms the MP on quite a few aspects!

Frankly, I did not quite expect this, as the Geekbench is said to only test CPU and Memory speeds, thus not taking into account the slower HDD's in the MacPro.

Last edited:

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
When I first got my 4,1 Mac Pro in 2009, it had the 3.33GHz quad core, and got 10,000-something in Geekbench. Since then, I've put in the W3680 6-core and it went up to 15,800-something. I know others with the same setup have seen over 16,000.

I just ran my newest laptop and got 12,085. Not too bad!

Attachments

• Geekbench MBP 9,1.png
    Geekbench MBP 9,1.png
    306.3 KB · Views: 208

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
you license is good for all your computers as far as I know.

I’m of the belief that we hit fast enough for most in portables a few years ago. My 17” C2D does everything that I think most people use their portables for and it’s a couple thousand behind your air (4700ish). The only time I notice a speed difference between my MBP and my MP is when things get absurd.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Yes, forgot to mention, the license key will work on more than one device, if you managed to keep that key somewhere handy.

ness96

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2013
Does anyone else feel that attempting to distill overall system performance down to single number for comparison is extremely misguided and weird?

I feel like you're comparing apples to oranges between the Air and the Pro system. The pro systems are going to steamroll an Air when it comes to highly paralleled tasks.

Don't get me wrong, benchmarks are fun.....and I don't know why. But really, it's a bigger question of exactly what it is you need for your daily tasks.

Boomhowler

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
I guess it's because that the frequency boost on the air can push it above the xeon's 2.6 GHz, which makes it better on some single core operations. Also, the memory is faster on the laptop, which shows here. Different computers for different uses :) and also, it's four years between them

I'm pretty amazed that a four (or even the 2008 mac pro's) year old computer only has been reached by laptops now (some in 2012 as well). The longevity of a mac pro is very nice. My 2008 mac pro still runs circles around the "workstations" we have at work (HP laptops from ~2010/11, they are getting very long in the tooth).

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
you license is good for all your computers as far as I know.

Thanks, I wondered.

Does anyone else feel that attempting to distill overall system performance down to single number for comparison is extremely misguided and weird?

I look at the Geekbench as a dyno test for computers. Such a test has no relevance to how cars behave on the road, but it is the best method to determine and compare engine power output.

I guess it's because that the frequency boost on the air can push it above the xeon's 2.6 GHz, which makes it better on some single core operations.

I think the 1.3 GHz turbos to 2.6? That would still be 0.06 slower than the Xeon's 2.66 :)

Last edited:

BJonson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
I have a 3,1 8 core mac pro. It gets a 9900 32bit score. My other macs get around 10500 and they are macbook pros. I don't know what it is but my mac pro just feels faster. It handles handbrake better, the fans never ramp up ever where as the other macs go nuts if you even do flash. There is something to be said for more cores. It levels everything out so it does if faster. If I ignore the geekbench scores I would say my mac pro is way faster than anything apple has put out so far. Well it feels that way and that is all that really matters I guess.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I have a 3,1 8 core mac pro. It gets a 9900 32bit score. My other macs get around 10500 and they are macbook pros. I don't know what it is but my mac pro just feels faster. It handles handbrake better, the fans never ramp up ever where as the other macs go nuts if you even do flash. There is something to be said for more cores. It levels everything out so it does if faster. If I ignore the geekbench scores I would say my mac pro is way faster than anything apple has put out so far. Well it feels that way and that is all that really matters I guess.

I've had similar results. You can slide more ram into a mac pro too, so that definitely helps. There's a difference between minimum required and when you stop seeing performance increases.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
When I first got my 4,1 Mac Pro in 2009, it had the 3.33GHz quad core, and got 10,000-something in Geekbench. Since then, I've put in the W3680 6-core and it went up to 15,800-something. I know others with the same setup have seen over 16,000.

I just ran my newest laptop and got 12,085. Not too bad!

Do you have instructions for making that upgrade? Want to do the same thing myself for my 2009 MP....

Studio K

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2013
United States
Many thanks!

One more question: these instructions are for an upgrade from 2010 model. I've read that the 09 CPU had a different depth and that you might need to get a thicker washer to ensure that the heatsink doesn't crush it. Did you need to do anything to protect the CPU?

The instructions in the link are for a single CPU model. Does your Mac Pro have 2 cpu's?

The depth and washer concerns only apply to the dual-processor Mac Pro. I have no experience with that one but it sounds complicated.

The single-cpu model is very straightforward: Remove heatsink, replace CPU, apply thermal compound, reattach heat sink.

You must first change your firmware to that of a 2010 before installing the 6 core processor.

Last edited:

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Many thanks!

One more question: these instructions are for an upgrade from 2010 model. I've read that the 09 CPU had a different depth and that you might need to get a thicker washer to ensure that the heatsink doesn't crush it. Did you need to do anything to protect the CPU?

Hi Numbersyx Here is a link on upgrading dual CPUs in a 2009 MP http://www.anandtech.com/show/2800/upgrading-and-analyzing-apple-s-nehalem-mac-pro/10

I also read somewhere in this forum when returning the heat sinks you have to tighten the screws correctly.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
You Mac Pro definitely needs an upgrade. I was able to grab a i7 990x for 475@frys a couple months ago. (equivalent to the w3690) A small bump that would more than double your performance. Add in a Velocity X2 and a samsung 840 to really make your mac fly.

Attachments

• geekbench.png
    geekbench.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 105

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
The instructions in the link are for a single CPU model. Does your Mac Pro have 2 cpu's?

The depth and washer concerns only apply to the dual-processor Mac Pro. I have no experience with that one but it sounds complicated.

The single-cpu model is very straightforward: Remove heatsink, replace CPU, apply thermal compound, reattach heat sink.

You must first change your firmware to that of a 2010 before installing the 6 core processor.

Yep, I have the dual CPU unfortunately. Have already flashed the firmware but have to look for instructions on what to look for with the washer and depth issues. I will keep searching the web...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.