Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
Hey guys,

I just need to be a little sad and mad about myself at the same time.

Today I found a used 2011 MBA 4GB RAM 11" on the local Craigslist (dubbizle) for approx US $ 400.00 and I was thinking the entire day if I should get it or not. One thing that kept me away was that my brand new 13" 8GB/128/i5 is coming soon and the fact that my wife would have killed me if I would have gotten another one.

But when I finally decided to call the guy the deal was gone, MBA sold. I think I could have gotten it, used it for 2-4 weeks and sold it for the same if not some more money afterwards.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is that if you guys had a similar experience you can post it here and try to make yourself better again.

Thanks.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Hey guys,

I just need to be a little sad and mad about myself at the same time.

Today I found a used 2011 MBA 4GB RAM 11" on the local Craigslist (dubbizle) for approx US $ 400.00 and I was thinking the entire day if I should get it or not. One thing that kept me away was that my brand new 13" 8GB/128/i5 is coming soon and the fact that my wife would have killed me if I would have gotten another one.

But when I finally decided to call the guy the deal was gone, MBA sold. I think I could have gotten it, used it for 2-4 weeks and sold it for the same if not some more money afterwards.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is that if you guys had a similar experience you can post it here and try to make yourself better again.

Thanks.

Don't worry too much - we all miss out on good deals like that, and when buying from a place like that there is always a chance that there will be a problem, be it a stolen machine, or a functional one that isn't immediately obvious.

Try buying a house or flat - getting gazumped or having a developer string you along or put the screws on you will put this into perspective.

And, most importantly.... Enjoy your 2012 MBA when it arrives!

David

----------

I cry why I didn't load up on Apple shares when it was $25. :(

Don't mention that - you might make me cry. I don't want to go into details, but back in the late nineties, if a certain person had listened to me, I'd be a multi-millionaire!

David

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
Don't worry too much - we all miss out on good deals like that, and when buying from a place like that there is always a chance that there will be a problem, be it a stolen machine, or a functional one that isn't immediately obvious.

Try buying a house or flat - getting gazumped or having a developer string you along or put the screws on you will put this into perspective.

And, most importantly.... Enjoy your 2012 MBA when it arrives!

David

Thanks mate,
I know what ou are talking about, apartment is a big thing to look after. Actually, buying all those tech stuff isn't very healthy either, always the want to have something new and better. But hey, the wife spends money on clothes and handbags, so I guess we just keep it balanced.

Yeah, can't wait for my MBA to finally arrive, already waiting 9 days and I was to.d it can be up to 30 days. Hope it won't be that long.

AoS

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
I wouldn't feel THAT bad.

1) Craigslist never 100% safe
2) No guarantee that the product is fully functioning
3) 11' vs 13' is actually pretty significant (screen, more palm real estate, SD card)
4) 2012 MBA has USB 3.0, faster processor, way better graphics card.
5) 8 GB is a great future proof investment.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I always say that if you're going to extensively use a certain device, it's best to pay upfront and deal with as few headaches as possible.

Don't feel bummed from missing that deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.