Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monkeycid

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Hi everyone,

Will be buying my first Mac eventually and I'll be mainly playing Diablo 3 on it as I currently do on my PC. I'm not looking for a gaming mouse but I want something offered by Apple that won't be a hindrance when gaming. I currently use a Dell 2-button mouse with scroll wheel.

Any ideas?

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
In my opinion, the mouse you are using will do a perfectly fine job in comparison to the Apple alternatives. I have a Magic Mouse and gaming on it just doesn't feel right so I often switch it out for a Logitech G9 that I have kicking around.

Apple mice are great, but just not for gaming.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Agreed. Apple mouse needs time to get used to and while it's awesome for casual use, a click-fest like Diablo 3 is best performed by something more "handy".;)

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Yep, agree with everyone above, apple's magic mouse is a great mouse but for gaming it is bad, no defined right click and no scroll wheel will really hold you back.

I played Diablo3 with the touchpad for a bit and it is possible to play it that way but any basic 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel will outperform that any day.

Snarl

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
Canada Eh
The apple magic mouse is doable but as others have indicated a good 2 Button Mouse with Scroll Wheel is better suited for gaming. Particularly in shooters i.e. Borderlands where you need to hold one button down (Zoom) and Fire at the same time (Depends on your config).

I use a Razer Orchi for gaming (Wired & Wirless is nice)... not that that particularly matters :)

monkeycid

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Is it difficult to play with a standard, non-Magic mouse, too? There's Magic Mouse and there's an Apple Mouse. The Apple Mouse appears to resemble that of an ordinary mouse with a scroll wheel but it's difficult to make out how many buttons it has.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
I don't game, but I have had this mouse for about 2 years now. I love it. I bought the corded one just because I don't want to waste time, money, and batteries on replacing batteries! It's dirt cheap, works great, and is quite comfortable. If you are comparing to an apple mouse, I think this is a much better option.

Logitech M500 Mouse

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Is it difficult to play with a standard, non-Magic mouse, too? There's Magic Mouse and there's an Apple Mouse. The Apple Mouse appears to resemble that of an ordinary mouse with a scroll wheel but it's difficult to make out how many buttons it has.

You can't press both buttons at the same time. It's either one or the other. Stopped me from using it for WoW flying.

macz1

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
I've always used Logitech mice with my macs. And also with my powerbook.
They work great. Even the cheaper ones...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
You're really going to want a "proper" mouse. Logitech, Microsoft, Razer make great all-round mice but especially excel in gaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.