Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DRII

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Happy New Years All!

My 09 Quad MP has power button issues. Sometimes I'll press it and here a click in the tower, button no chime or boot. Sometime's, I hear nothing. Usually after pressing it 2-3 times, it boots. On December 19th, it would not boot at all. I removed my 2 internal drives and left my OS drive in and took it into the Apple Store, and they got it to boot immediately. After turning it off and on a few times, there was no video. After about 10 days, they store called me and said they replaced my video card and it was $149.99 plus $39.99 labor. I would've rather them give me the option to replace or do it myself, as I would've went with a higher end card. I brought my MP home, and after about two days im having the power button issue again. Should I bring it back to the store and have them re-diagnose it, or has any users had this same problem? Could it possibly be the power supply or button itself? Thanks in advance.

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Power Supply problem. There is few videos on YT witn Mac Pro PSU clicking noise and no Boot or even Power On.

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
yes it is a power supply problem. Same problem with my mac pro 5,1. It got fixed by apple. Actually they replaced power supply, logic board and panel. Total cost almost a 1 thousand dollars. Thank you apple care. It clicks and about the third click it will turn on.

DRII

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
yes it is a power supply problem. Same problem with my mac pro 5,1. It got fixed by apple. Actually they replaced power supply, logic board and panel. Total cost almost a 1 thousand dollars. Thank you apple care. It clicks and about the third click it will turn on.

I'm hoping I can just replace the PSU and problem solved. I'm 6 months outta Apple Care warranty and can't fork over logic board money. What problems were you having specifically with your 5,1 that needed the logic board replaced? Funny thing is I have a 2002 G4 that runs like new! Never had an issue.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I have a 1,1 and it had a similar problem after a thunderstorm which blasted the electric. You get that CLICK in the tower when the power unit is fried or defective. I can't tell you 100% that it is the power supply, but I'd bet it is.

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
Well, from me looking at my mac pro. I though the power supply was the problem. After reading the sheet of what it go replaced. THey replaced more than the power supply. But now my mac pro is running better then ever.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
TBH I'd ask for an OOW exception on that, and it's usually the PSU (it's usually accompanied by it intermittently powering off when in use too).

DRII

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
TBH I'd ask for an OOW exception on that, and it's usually the PSU (it's usually accompanied by it intermittently powering off when in use too).

I was thinking the same. What's the best way to go about it? Should I go directly to the A

----------

I was thinking the same. What's the best way to go about it? Should I go directly to the store or Apple Business since that's how I purchased it?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I was thinking the same. What's the best way to go about it? Should I go directly to the A

----------

I was thinking the same. What's the best way to go about it? Should I go directly to the store or Apple Business since that's how I purchased it?

Apple Store and speak to the genius/manager. Explain the situation, and how they've already misquoted for a graphics card etc.

Be nice to them and i'd be surprised if they dont do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.