Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pigoz

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2007
Milan, Italy
  • I don't know what they've done to the screen, but the amount of reflection is massively reduced (see pic attached)
  • The monitor is decently calibrated out of the box; the ColorMunki only made minor adjustments (and you can actually manually turn down the brightness to a sensible level (out-of-box mid brightness is 110cd/m2), unlike previous models).
  • My display appears uniform whatever colour is on screen, I haven't seen any dead pixels and there's no backlight bleed or intrusion at the brightness I'm using (120cd/m2)

Still waiting for mine since UPS lost the package. Thank you for running these tests, they raised my hype level even further :D

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Pardon the dumb question, but how do you install and use x-plane 10 without a DVD drive?

The demo works without a DVD. However, if I buy the full version, I'll make a disk image of the first DVD on another Mac and use that on my iMac. From what I've read on the 'net, it should work.

Kadath

macrumors regular
May 28, 2006
USB DVD drives are cheap as hell, or get a buffalo Blu burner and set for the future

colday

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
The demo works without a DVD. However, if I buy the full version, I'll make a disk image of the first DVD on another Mac and use that on my iMac. From what I've read on the 'net, it should work.

You will want more scenery than you're going to get with the first DVD. If you have another Mac on the same network you can share the DVD drive. It will take a very long time to install, it does anyhow. Also the USB key is worth the value so that you don't need the DVD every time you play. You can also do the image thing, you will just have to mount it before starting X-Plane.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I really like my new 27" i7 iMac, too. It's absolutely silent at all times, even with a regular 1TB Seagate spinner inside. Booting from my Samsung SSD over Thunderbolt is a joy, and the internal drive is now a photos drive.

Sound is "OK" (not as good as my late 2009 27"), but not horrible. Passable. Reflections are indeed greatly reduced. Hugely reduced!

Screen uniformity is "OK", but it's definitely yellower toward the bottom of the screen, though most of this is the inferior viewing angles of these new iMacs. A fully black screen shows what APPEARS to be bleed on all the corners, but again - it's just viewing angles. If I move directly in front of those corners, the "bleed" disappears completely. What happened here, Apple?

Speed is bonkers. This thing is lightning fast (overkill 32GB RAM installed). I've had mine running 24/7 since I opened it up on Thursday, and it's working well so far with no instability.

maggienh

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Great !!!

I received my i7 just before Christmas and I love it. It was scheduled for 24 dec to 31 dec and it came in on 17 dec. It's beautiful and very speedy......much better than my old Windows machine that was 8 years old.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Just played a 4k video file on it, flawless. Colours on this screen are awesome. I was photo editing with a macbook air and a sony tv. I've now seen the light. Pictures I've edited before now all look either flat or over processed.

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I've got a fusion drive, is there anyway to check manually what is on the ssd drive and what isn't?

I know it does it automatically but say I want Final Cut Pro X on the SSD and because I have nothing to edit for 3 weeks it's untouched in that period when I next go to use it it might have moved to the HDD and that wouldn't be cool.

It'd just be nice to know what's on the SSD.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I´ve had mine for 3 days now. First day I installed and set i up with all the software etc...made a clean install instead of migrating. day to, fixing all the cables etc so my desk look as clean and sexy as possible :) I had all ready bought all the fancy furnitures and equipment which I wanted to accomodate the arrival of the imac. Now, everything is set up.

I ordered a Wacom Cintiq tablet 6 months ago, which has gone through 2 repairs all ready. But, came just in time for the iMac.

The iMac itself works flawlessly. the imac looks great, the screen works great, the speed is fenomenal and everything just works perfectly. So, a completely different build quality than the wacom cintiq :D ...it´s hard not to be amazed by Apple when I don´t experience a single thing to dislike with the iMac ;) and the 768 flash drive is so fast, with no sound or anything...I´m so glad I made that investment.

I´m in Love :) and life is finally complete. So, now I´ll probably not hang around here much more. thanks everyone for a good social place to ease of the frustration while waiting. It´s been a loooong wait, so I´m happy the iMac did arrive without any flaws.

echomango

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
I am really enjoying this machine. I have had it now for a week or so and I absolutely love it. I came from a 2006 IMac so the contrast is extreme. I love the screen, the speed, the quick startups and the overall snappiness. After Effects runs wonderfully now though I need more ram. I have ordered another 16 gb after watching After Effects chew up whatever ram I have available out of the factory 8 GB. I can't wait to see what happens with 24 and if that is not enough I will go to 32.

One of the surprises for me was the increase in speed of my internet connection. With my old IMac the net was okay, sluggish sometimes, but okay. Now it is so much faster. Click and there is the page. The slowdown in the net was not my connection, it was my computer. Wow. Unexpected and very welcome change. Man it is snappy now. What's not to love?

Good to see everyone from the 27in Delivery page!

FilipH

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
Apple Land
Among all the negative threads surrounding the new imac, i'd like to mention that i received mine (27 inc, i7, fusion) today in perfect condition. Coming from a 2007 (office) and 2009 imac (home).

It looks dead sexy, runs absolutely silent with zero heat. 27 inch is huge though. Never knew office 2011 (used to hate it) can run so snappy and fast.

Speakers are much much better then my old imac's. Bass is deeper, and the music sounds much richer.

I combine my new imac with Divvy (as recommended on the verge a few days ago), and it's just great great fun. The speed + Divvy really allows me to multitask.

Now i'm thinking to buy the base 21 inch one for my work space, but i worry about the 5400rpm harddisk inside it. I'd love to hear some feedback from an actual user. Does it feel slow because of the harddisk??

Will/\

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2012
This is my first mac and I have waited for the new iMac to be launched since may so I am really glad that I waited for the new one and was patient. It's Awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.