Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Mar 6, 2013, 03:46 PM   #1
marcusg
macrumors newbie

Setting FTP chroot directory

I'm trying to set up FTP on a Mac Mini (Mountain Lion, non-server version). I'm trying to chroot a user to another directory than the user's home directory. Let's call him aaron, homedir = /Users/aaron and desiered chroot upon ftp-login = /some/other/dir.

- I've added aaron to /etc/ftpchroot
- I've added the following line to /etc/ftpd.conf
- - chroot aaron /some/other/dir

As far as I can understand, that should put aaron in /some/other/dir. But when loggin in, aaron is chrooted in /Users/aaron! Why? Can't [pathformat] be a normal path (see https://developer.apple.com/library/...an/5/ftpd.conf )?
marcusg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 06:44 PM   #2
assembled
macrumors regular

from here https://developer.apple.com/library/...an/5/ftpchroot

The file /private/etc/ftpchroot is used to determine which users will have their session's root directory changed (using chroot(2)), either to the directory specified in the ftpd.conf(5) chroot directive (if set), or to the home directory of the user. If the file does not exist, the root directory change is not performed.
assembled is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 08:26 AM   #3
HenryAZ
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusg View Post
- I've added the following line to /etc/ftpd.conf
- - chroot aaron /some/other/dir
Shouldn't the second word be a class keyword, rather than the user's name?
HenryAZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 02:38 PM   #4
marcusg
macrumors newbie

Thanks both of you! I hadn't fully understood the usage of class. You made me study the manual a little bit more and now i nailed it! I added "aaron allow myclass" to ftpusers and modified ftpd.conf to contain "chroot my class /some/other/dir". I also removed the entry in ftpchroot.

... and (shame on me) after copying the line from ftp.conf to ftpd.conf (apparently I made a typo when opening the file in the first place!) it all worked perfect!
marcusg is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking