Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I can't edit any of my songs in iTunes. Selections are grayed out. How can I fix this, thanks!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-02-15 at 12.16.35 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-02-15 at 12.16.35 PM.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 225

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I can't edit any of my songs in iTunes. Selections are grayed out. How can I fix this, thanks!
Have you restarted iTunes? Restarted your computer? Are the songs located on an external drive? If so, is it mounted properly? Can you right-click and Show in Finder?

jwheadrick

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
File permissions

I had a similar problem with some movies that I had in iTunes. I still haven't figured out how it happened, but the ownership/file permissions were messed up. Some were owned by me and were fully open (777) while others were owned by root and permissions were set at 744. To fix this, I ran this line while in terminal,

Code:
sudo chmod 777 /Path/To/File/filename.m4v

This will prompt for your admin password. You can do the same thing with other files, but you should make sure that it won't interfere with what a system admin may have set (if it's a work computer)

(tip: to easily get the path to your file, you can simply drag the file into terminal and the full path will automagically be insterted)

Just-me

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2008
MD
jwheadrick, thanks.

Tried that in Mountain L.
Doesn't work. I wrote the following in Terminal:

SEs-MBP:~ Dad$ sudo chmod 777 /Users/Dad/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Media/Music/2012-11-11\ iRip/Alice\ Deejay/Who\ Needs\ Guitars\ Anyway\?/Better\ Off\ Alone.m4a

and gives me the following message:
SEs-MBP:~ Dad$ 123qwe
-bash: 123qwe: command not found

Any ideas what would be the right one for ML?

(BTW, after reading about the problems with permissions, with other songs I just went to the info and changed the permissions from there, but with this particular one also the lock in the info is grayed out).

FOUND THE REASON: instead of Cmd+I I was clicking Option+Cmd+I (for a general info, for several files) and THAT gave me the grayed out lock, but when I did just Cmd+I could change permissions.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.