Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
So friends have asked me whether I could bring them an interchangeable lens camera from Japan, sure enough. Originally, they wanted a Sony Alpha 57 with a Tamron 17-50 mm f/2.8 because of its video capabilities (a baby is on the way). Turns out that the Sony cameras they sell here in Japan are monolingual, they only speak Japanese, and that this is a condition that not even a firmware update can cure.

Turns out that Sony and Panasonic are Japanese-only here, they're out of the race. (Which is a pity, cameras are quite a bit cheaper here.)

So I wanted to know whether you have a suggestion for a decent interchangeable lens camera (≠*Sony, Panasonic) with good video capabilities and for about the same price? (I personally don't care for video, so I don't pay attention to video modes.) I'm looking for nothing outrageous, although I did notice some of the m4/3 Olys don't have a built-in flash (that's another no-no).

ctyhntr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
Panasonic GH2 would be in your price range, while the latest model (GH3) would be out of your budget . You can google it, there are hacks that you can use to increase the bitrate and iso. Check youtube for footage.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Panasonic GH2 would be in your price range, while the latest model (GH3) would be out of your budget . You can google it, there are hacks that you can use to increase the bitrate and iso. Check youtube for footage.
As I said, Panasonic is out of the running since they share the same language limitation.

(I have nothing against these brands. And if someone can dig up instructions on how to teach Sony Alphas or Panasonics English (or German) without a trip to the service center, I'd welcome that, too.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.