Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olup

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I know there are quite a few drummers on here, I'm in the market for a new throne, haven't had my own for quite a few years and the last one I had was cheap and needed to be re-adjusted every 20 mins or so. I've been using my friend's half broken saddle throne, the legs don't really give support anymore, so it sways back and forth at times.

I've been reading some forums for recommendations for the past three hours, looking at thrones online, but haven't really made up my mind...

Now I would like to get your input, experiences and recommendations. :)
It would also be of help, if you mention the type of music you play.

I'm honestly not really a fan of saddle thrones and I play mostly Rock.

Obviously I will go down to my local shop and try things out before I buy.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I know there are quite a few drummers on here, I'm in the market for a new throne, haven't had my own for quite a few years and the last one I had was cheap and needed to be re-adjusted every 20 mins or so. I've been using my friend's half broken saddle throne, the legs don't really give support anymore, so it sways back and forth at times.

I've been reading some forums for recommendations for the past three hours, looking at thrones online, but haven't really made up my mind...

Now I would like to get your input, experiences and recommendations. :)
It would also be of help, if you mention the type of music you play.

I'm honestly not really a fan of saddle thrones and I play mostly Rock.

Obviously I will go down to my local shop and try things out before I buy.

pearl-d-2500br-roadster-backrest-throne-w-cycle-seat-.jpg

I've got one of these, pretty comfortable. It's the Pearl D-2500BR.

olup

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011

I've got one of these, pretty comfortable. It's the Pearl D-2500BR.

I like that the seat seems cushy and nicely padded, but I'm not really a fan of saddle seats. The backrest is a good thing, but I'm not really in need of that yet.
I tried this one out at my local shop, but the legs' rubber feet angle was really weird and the overall feeling was pretty shakey.

211196.jpg

So now I'm considering either one of those:

9747_0.jpg
priced at 59 bucks

and the famous Tama 1st chair, which a lot of people recommend for 99 and seems very sturdy and solid because the legs' rubber feet actually look they're evenly on the ground.

8828_0.jpg

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I like that the seat seems cushy and nicely padded, but I'm not really a fan of saddle seats. The backrest is a good thing, but I'm not really in need of that yet.
I tried this one out at my local shop, but the legs' rubber feet angle was really weird and the overall feeling was pretty shakey.

So now I'm considering either one of those:

Image priced at 59 bucks

and the famous Tama 1st chair, which a lot of people recommend for 99 and seems very sturdy and solid because the legs' rubber feet actually look they're evenly on the ground.

1st chair is a winner, I was gonna get one of those before a friend offered the Pearl throne for an insanely good price. Tama stuff in general, I've found, to be about the best I've used.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I don't like the backrest one's either or the saddles. I actually have an older Pearl round seat and have it for about 15 plus years. No plans on getting rid of it as I love the feel of it. I haven't really sat in any of the new one's I just know when I did look for one I did not like the saddles or the back rest ones.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I don't understand why you would want a back rest for a drum kit. I have never laid back while playing.

olup

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I don't understand why you would want a back rest for a drum kit. I have never laid back while playing.

Well as you get older I think a backrest is very much essential. When I play I always try to sit up straight and not hunched over. Also a backrest could be nice, when taking a break as you won't need to lean back against the wall, if the wall's close enough to rest against.

----------

1st chair is a winner, I was gonna get one of those before a friend offered the Pearl throne for an insanely good price. Tama stuff in general, I've found, to be about the best I've used.

I think I'll settle for the 1st chair by the end of the month give or take.

I don't like the backrest one's either or the saddles. I actually have an older Pearl round seat and have it for about 15 plus years. No plans on getting rid of it as I love the feel of it. I haven't really sat in any of the new one's I just know when I did look for one I did not like the saddles or the back rest ones.

I personally would never buy a saddle seat either, using a friend's old one right now, but the pelvis support is a bit better, I have to admit that.

olup

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011

do you own either of these? I wonder if the porkpie is as cushy as it looks or if it's just big. I was actually intrigued by the pork pie throne, but both are waaay out of my price range.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I do not own the pork pie but I just bought the ludwig for someone and it is damn awesome. Another drummer buddy has a pork pie and he simply loves it.

olup

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I do not own the pork pie but I just bought the ludwig for someone and it is damn awesome. Another drummer buddy has a pork pie and he simply loves it.

nice. I would like to sit on one of those some day, but sadly my local shop doesn't carry either of them.

I used to own a pork pie snare that was pretty nice, but I don't know about their hardware.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
it is well worth it to get a heavy duty, quality throne if you are serious about drumming.
i used the basic heavy duty Gibraltar throne for over 15 years.
98291444-260x260-0-0_Gibraltar+Gibraltar+9608+Professional+Round+Throne.jpg

and a few years ago i got a DW 9000 series to replace it after the padding in the seat finally got too compressed to be comfortable.
DW9000_throne.jpg

you don't need anything too fancy (back rest, air lift, etc.), but it needs to be sturdy and comfy.

olup

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Alright well over the weekend I finally bought a new drum throne, fabric seat, spindle....dixon for 69 bucks.

PSN-9000CS-1.jpg

http://intl.playdixon.com/Hardware/Detail.aspx?CID=4&ID=122790

I sat on it for a good hour today playing and it is pretty solid, though not super comfy/cushy, but I didn't look/expect that anyways. The seat seems sturdy and no moving parts whatsoever. So far I'm happy with it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.