Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
I saw a thread here on how some MBA users are getting the Sandisk Fit to have a bigger drive so I went ahead and purchased the 32GB version for my 11" MBA.

My question is, how do I go about formatting the flash drive and move my iTunes folder and iPhoto file to the USB drive and have the drive become the location for all future photos and music?

EDIT: I'd also like to add, how do I go about doing backups in this case? After moving my iPhoto library and iTunes media to the external, I would like to still do Time Machine backups but have the external drive included as well.

Last edited:

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
Now, the best option in my opinion is the SanDisk Cruizer Fit, but the problem is that it is only USB 2.0 and not USB 3.0, in addition the max. size is currently 32GB.

Does anyone know when they gonna introduce USB 3.0 and increase the size to 64/128/256GB sizes?

An does the battery gets sucked out quicker with the USB plugged in all the time I not used or does the USB goes in some kind of hybernate state?

Thanks

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
I don't have the SanDisk fit but I do have a Lexar EX micro 32Gb USB drive and its very similar in size.

The USB device does have a "flashing light" on it and it flashes a lot due to the read/write speed being much slower on any of these "micro" flash drives compared to their regular size counter parts...

I haven't seen any USB3 Micro drives yet = that would help out but they'd probably be pretty expensive compared to a regular sized USB3 flash drive relatively speaking:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.