Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pediatricrn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I have iMovie HD on my G4 and IMovie 11 on a Mac book pro. Is the quality of the file any different. I would like to use iMovie hd to down load off camera and work on project save file and finish in imovie11. What is the best file formate to put them in off iMovie hd, I still want to edit them more, VD,mpeg4, mov, they don't save in mv4.and if I compress them to much will they be to small for final DVD project?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Since iMovie only uses one file format (.mov - QuickTime) and two video codecs (Apple Intermediate Codec for HD and SD footage and DV codec for DV footage) to store imported video, there should be no problem transferring footage.
If you can easily transfer a project from iMovie HD to iMovie '11 is another question, which might be answered via a www search.
Imported video, if not changed in the settings, is stored in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Movies / iMovie Projects / ... .

As for getting the finished sequence on DVD, if you still have iDVD, you can use the SHARE feature in iMovie (again, a lot of guides can be found via www search with the terms "imovie share/publish to idvd") to get that sequence into iDVD. No need for MPEG-4 compression, as video DVDs use another compression (MPEG-2), thus you will lose image quality, albeit not immediately visible.

I do not know if the following can help, but it contains valid information about containers (formats) and codecs:

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
You can import iMovie6HD projects into iMovie11, however, any audio that you've added in iMovie6HD is not imported.

I kept using iMovie6HD all the way through iMovie8 and 9. It was only when iMovie11 came along that I made the switch. I can't really see any difference between the two.

If I was you, I'd just use iMovie11.

pediatricrn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks

Thank you. That was very helpful

Since iMovie only uses one file format (.mov - QuickTime) and two video codecs (Apple Intermediate Codec for HD and SD footage and DV codec for DV footage) to store imported video, there should be no problem transferring footage.
If you can easily transfer a project from iMovie HD to iMovie '11 is another question, which might be answered via a www search.
Imported video, if not changed in the settings, is stored in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Movies / iMovie Projects / ... .

As for getting the finished sequence on DVD, if you still have iDVD, you can use the SHARE feature in iMovie (again, a lot of guides can be found via www search with the terms "imovie share/publish to idvd") to get that sequence into iDVD. No need for MPEG-4 compression, as video DVDs use another compression (MPEG-2), thus you will lose image quality, albeit not immediately visible.

I do not know if the following can help, but it contains valid information about containers (formats) and codecs:
YouTube: video

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.