Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LucidPsychosis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
Knoxville, TN
My friends and I used to use FL studio to make hip-hop/rap-style beats, but the computer that had FL studio on it fried, so we're gonna try and use my Macbook with Garageband to make some beats.

To anyone with experience in both programs: Does Garageband offer the same depth that FL studio does? In FL, you can make all your individual notes and everything. So far in Garageband, I can only find pre-made Apple loops. I haven't used it much at all since I got my MBP.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I figured you guys might have some expertise on this.

burnsmedia

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2010
Chicago
Individual Notes in GarageBand

Never a stupid question if it's important to you. I'm not familiar with FL Studio, but you can certainly add individual notes in GarageBand, start by clicking Window in the menu bar and choosing Keyboard, or using the keyboard shortcut Command-K. This brings up a small digital keyboard for you to use directly in GarageBand. You can also plug in almost any USB keyboard. Then simply choose your track, choose your instrument, hit the record button and tickle those ivories (or swing your strings, toot your own horn, whatever instrument you've chosen) and you're good to go. You can also use the Apple loops to jumpstart your song, and play along with a drumbeat for example. A little experimentation should get you where you want to be.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-07-12 at 8.34.22 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-07-12 at 8.34.22 AM.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 779

ZebraineZ

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
Do you think boot camp might be an option? If it's really that important to you it will be worth it trust me, FLS runs great :D

If you don't want to dual boot, you can always try crossover, FLS runs ok with that too, not heard of any problems but I don't really like wine that much anyways...

mr4227

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2016
Man GB is a beast for making hip hop tracks. Doesn't have same capabilities as FL but is adequate enough - here is my soundcloud page, all songs made w/garageband - www.soundcloud.com/mr4227 - if you have questions about sampling, looping, etc, send me a message and i'll do my best to help. I also hav a bunch of how to videos on youtube, just search "garageband hip hop" and you'll find them along with a large number of others. All the best!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.