Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
Having to buy it online completely prices me out our it! Because I can't use my gift cards, epthsts before you even get to adding on! Haven't had too many problems with 4GB RAM on my mini and 128GB should be enough. I'm already decided I might have to out my iTunes library on a memory stick and stick to spotify to stream music to save storage space.

Those of you saying the 11" is much more portable, that isn't really an issue and I can easily carry the extra screen size around when I need to which won't be often. I have an iPad mini for car trips at that

Well then, 13" it is!

Go get one!! :D

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
That is to say, if you often do something where even a 13" screen would be cramped, I think you should actually go for the smaller machine since you will connect to an external display anyway.

This is exactly how I felt after almost two years with a 13" MacBook Air. So I got a 2013 11" MBA and am very happy with it. :)

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Here's my thought's on the situation:

If you are buying this computer for general purposes, such as word processing, browsing, gaming and movies/music, then get the 13". I think the added screen size will help with day to day stuff.

However, if you are going to do a lot of coding, or design, or you are going to spend most of the time connected to an external monitor, then I'd say go for the 11". That is to say, if you often do something where even a 13" screen would be cramped, I think you should actually go for the smaller machine since you will connect to an external display anyway.

Personally, after a whole lot of internal debating, I went with the 11" and I absolutely love it. If you do end up going with the 11", go into Safari and set the minimum font size to 12. It makes reading web pages a lot easier.

that's an interesting take on it - i have to say i agree entirely! i went the 11" + TBD route myself because i figured that would give me the best of both worlds.

i doubt many people who get the 13 regret it, but for me the 13" air didn't feel as portable, especially when compared to the rMBP which is only .5lb heavier.

the 11 on the other hand is unbelievably portable and i don't feel cramped using it at all. i can certainly see why some people would though.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
the 11 on the other hand is unbelievably portable and i don't feel cramped using it at all. i can certainly see why some people would though.

It also doesn't hurt that the 11" can now be configured with the same specs as the 13". You don't lose any performance like you used to.

L T

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
UK
Well, I went into the apple store and got onto a 13 inch to have a play and opened up pages documents and views video on it.

Had a brief look at the 11inch but I don't like the lack of screen height. So went with the 13

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
that's an interesting take on it - i have to say i agree entirely! i went the 11" + TBD route myself because i figured that would give me the best of both worlds.

i doubt many people who get the 13 regret it, but for me the 13" air didn't feel as portable, especially when compared to the rMBP which is only .5lb heavier.

Another take from someone who agrees with jdechko and also has a 13" model which I don't regret getting in the least bit, upgrades and all..

I've just recently begun to think, instead of an iPad retina as something to take with me every day as a more portable option than the 13" (which isn't cumbersome by any means, but I've been thinking of an iPad to take on trips and to classes, etc. to keep the MBA fresh for home use exclusively as I'd like it to last me as long as possible), that an 11" base model would be money even better spent considering the keyboard, processing power, SSD speeds and the fact that it's a full computer compared to spending 5-800 on a tablet + case + keyboard (if necessary) in exchange for the ability to do everything a 13" can do (maybe on a slightly less intense level) on the go in only a slightly larger form factor..as a non-convert to Retina, I know I wouldn't have a problem substituting the resolution for sheer dominance in hardware.

Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself into something I may not necessarily need, but I think it's safe to say I'm hooked on the MBA crack, and man...I've got it bad.

:apple: I know, I know.. #firstworldproblems, indeed. :apple:

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Having to buy it online completely prices me out our it! Because I can't use my gift cards, epthsts before you even get to adding on! Haven't had too many problems with 4GB RAM on my mini and 128GB should be enough. I'm already decided I might have to out my iTunes library on a memory stick and stick to spotify to stream music to save storage space.

Those of you saying the 11" is much more portable, that isn't really an issue and I can easily carry the extra screen size around when I need to which won't be often. I have an iPad mini for car trips at that

You answered your own original question then. Go buy 13".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.