Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:54 AM   #1
Alex-Sykes
macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 Speaker

I was so happy with my iPhone 5.
It didn't have the cosmetic damage like many were going on about, but now after putting all my music on and trying it out I've found a huge problem.
The speaker sounds dreadful, like its blown. And full volume is equivalent to what it is half on the iPhone 4S but with heavy distortion.
Anyone else have this problem or is it just me? Proper bummed out after waiting until 2PM this afternoon for it to finally arrive.
Alex-Sykes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:55 AM   #2
camaroIOM
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-Sykes View Post
It didn't have the cosmetic damage like many were going on about, but now after putting all my music on and trying it out I've found a huge problem.
The speaker sounds dreadful, like its blown. And full volume is equivalent to what it is half on the iPhone 4S but with heavy distortion.
Anyone else have this problem or is it just me? Proper bummed out after waiting until 2PM this afternoon for it to finally arrive.
Ahhhhh the complaints start
camaroIOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:56 AM   #3
Frankied22
macrumors 65816

That definitely sounds like a dud unit.y speaker is so loud. It's way louder than my iPhone 4.
Frankied22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:56 AM   #4
spblat
macrumors 6502a

Speakergate! (Sorry)
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Alex-Sykes
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroIOM View Post
Ahhhhh the complaints start
If you heard it you'd understand why I'm complaining. Even little things like the tri-tone sounds horrid. I can't even hear the keyboard clicks on full volume!
Alex-Sykes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:09 AM   #6
jlake02
macrumors 68000

Quote:
If you heard it you'd understand why I'm complaining. Even little things like the tri-tone sounds horrid. I can't even hear the keyboard clicks on full volume!
Don't worry bro.. I feel ya. If there is anything wrong with mine today I'm going to be REALLY bummed.

Sorry that happened
jlake02 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:14 AM   #7
skywalkerr69
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Return it and order another.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:17 AM   #8
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Quote:

It is a step back from the 4S very low almost hardly able to hear it with some background noises around, to me a big thumbs down
Wicked1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:29 AM   #9
Alex-Sykes
macrumors newbie

Quite bizarrely it's fine now! All I did was keep trying sound based media on the device and the deterioration reduced until now where it's just as loud as the 4S with music and just as clear. Very strange.
So glad about that, I would've hated to have had to wait for a replacement since Apple said it'd take a while to ship a replacement unit to me.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:31 AM   #10
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

I think it's an unknown/unresolved rare bug in iOS. This happened to my 3GS once and I think my 4. Never my 4S. You can Google it too, most everyone says it fixes itself. Did you have the plastic on by chance, though?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:31 AM   #11
khakiman
macrumors newbie

Talking

Take the plastic off.
khakiman is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:37 AM   #12
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by spblat View Post
Speakergate! (Sorry)

If you were sorry you wouldn't have said it.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:32 PM   #13
Alex-Sykes
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBreatheApple View Post
I think it's an unknown/unresolved rare bug in iOS. This happened to my 3GS once and I think my 4. Never my 4S. You can Google it too, most everyone says it fixes itself. Did you have the plastic on by chance, though?
The plastic was off, yes.
Glad the problems gone because waiting yet again for another device would have been horrid. Since this isn't a problem everything else is really good, only Siri doesn't seem to be working/is incredibly slow today. Guess it's because of it being launch day and everyone trying it out.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:48 PM   #14
TM WAZZA
macrumors 68000

Speaker is probably blown
TM WAZZA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:50 PM   #15
drb1992
macrumors 6502

Quote:
All I can say is try to get it replaced ASAP.
drb1992 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:53 PM   #16
Gathomblipoob
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM WAZZA View Post
Speaker is probably blown
----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1992 View Post
All I can say is try to get it replaced ASAP.
Did you read the thread? His speaker is fine now.
Gathomblipoob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:38 PM   #17
Shmanky
macrumors regular

I think I also have a problem with my black iPhone 5 speaker: the external speaker sounds terrible. In addition, the sound from my earphones also sound bad. I have a white iPhone 4S to compare it to. Even Siri's voice sounds bad. I hope my problem goes away like the OP. Or I'll return it.
Shmanky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:07 PM   #18
Alex-Sykes
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmanky View Post
I think I also have a problem with my black iPhone 5 speaker: the external speaker sounds terrible. In addition, the sound from my earphones also sound bad. I have a white iPhone 4S to compare it to. Even Siri's voice sounds bad. I hope my problem goes away like the OP. Or I'll return it.
I had no problems whatsoever through the EarPods. I'd recommend getting into contact with Apple about it, or see if it improves before tomorrow. Hopefully it goes away like mine did, I'm not too sure what causes it.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:07 AM   #19
t0264
macrumors newbie

Quote:
The speaker to me really is a charm. Very loud and clear and no clipping at loud volumes, which was particularly a problem with tones on my old 3GS. I do however notice music gives an overly 'dynamic compression' like sound when played at loud volumes similar to FM radio. Personally it doesn't really bother me, but it is worth noticing. I think it would be interesting to see play a song with a wide dynamic range and see if it is indeed dynamic compression we are hearing
t0264 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:14 AM   #20
Dean K
macrumors newbie

Iphone 5 speaker issue

I also hear some distortion on my iPhone 5 speaker. Although the volume can go up much higher than my iPhone 4, the speaker vibrates. This only seems to happen when I am on a telephone call. When I use the speaker for music, the distortion does not appear. I wonder if the new metal back is causing the vibration. I visited a local Apple store and was told to use the phone for a week or so to see if the distortion goes away, and if not, return for a replacement. The Apple employees indicated that they have not had a chance to evaluate many iPhone 5 issues yet, and were unable to qualify my concern.
Dean K is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:03 AM   #21
rapoo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by khakiman View Post
Take the plastic off.
Thanks for pointing that (rather obvious point) out. I was waiting for the casing which was bought online separately, and still kept the original plastic cover on, without realising that it covers and muffle sound from the internal speaker.
rapoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:51 AM   #22
JetBlack7
macrumors 68000

OP, next time if the problem still persists, try a full restore. Sometimes that may be a bug that needs a simple factory restore.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone