Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alex-Sykes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Derby, United Kingdom
I was so happy with my iPhone 5.
It didn't have the cosmetic damage like many were going on about, but now after putting all my music on and trying it out I've found a huge problem.
The speaker sounds dreadful, like its blown. And full volume is equivalent to what it is half on the iPhone 4S but with heavy distortion.
Anyone else have this problem or is it just me? Proper bummed out after waiting until 2PM this afternoon for it to finally arrive.

camaroIOM

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
It didn't have the cosmetic damage like many were going on about, but now after putting all my music on and trying it out I've found a huge problem.
The speaker sounds dreadful, like its blown. And full volume is equivalent to what it is half on the iPhone 4S but with heavy distortion.
Anyone else have this problem or is it just me? Proper bummed out after waiting until 2PM this afternoon for it to finally arrive.

Ahhhhh the complaints start

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
That definitely sounds like a dud unit.y speaker is so loud. It's way louder than my iPhone 4.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
If you heard it you'd understand why I'm complaining. Even little things like the tri-tone sounds horrid. I can't even hear the keyboard clicks on full volume!

Don't worry bro.. I feel ya. If there is anything wrong with mine today I'm going to be REALLY bummed.

Sorry that happened :(

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York

Return it and order another.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey

It is a step back from the 4S very low almost hardly able to hear it with some background noises around, to me a big thumbs down

Alex-Sykes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Derby, United Kingdom
Quite bizarrely it's fine now! All I did was keep trying sound based media on the device and the deterioration reduced until now where it's just as loud as the 4S with music and just as clear. Very strange.
So glad about that, I would've hated to have had to wait for a replacement since Apple said it'd take a while to ship a replacement unit to me.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I think it's an unknown/unresolved rare bug in iOS. This happened to my 3GS once and I think my 4. Never my 4S. You can Google it too, most everyone says it fixes itself. Did you have the plastic on by chance, though?

Alex-Sykes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Derby, United Kingdom
I think it's an unknown/unresolved rare bug in iOS. This happened to my 3GS once and I think my 4. Never my 4S. You can Google it too, most everyone says it fixes itself. Did you have the plastic on by chance, though?

The plastic was off, yes.
Glad the problems gone because waiting yet again for another device would have been horrid. :( Since this isn't a problem everything else is really good, only Siri doesn't seem to be working/is incredibly slow today. Guess it's because of it being launch day and everyone trying it out.

Shmanky

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Toronto
I think I also have a problem with my black iPhone 5 speaker: the external speaker sounds terrible. In addition, the sound from my earphones also sound bad. I have a white iPhone 4S to compare it to. Even Siri's voice sounds bad. I hope my problem goes away like the OP. Or I'll return it.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I wonder how much louder the 5 speaker vs 4S speaker is, with the new re-design and all.

My 4S is way louder than my friends 4.

I'll have to test out my friend's 5 later when he gets home from work.

Alex-Sykes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Derby, United Kingdom
I think I also have a problem with my black iPhone 5 speaker: the external speaker sounds terrible. In addition, the sound from my earphones also sound bad. I have a white iPhone 4S to compare it to. Even Siri's voice sounds bad. I hope my problem goes away like the OP. Or I'll return it.

I had no problems whatsoever through the EarPods. I'd recommend getting into contact with Apple about it, or see if it improves before tomorrow. Hopefully it goes away like mine did, I'm not too sure what causes it.

t0264

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2010

The speaker to me really is a charm. Very loud and clear and no clipping at loud volumes, which was particularly a problem with tones on my old 3GS. I do however notice music gives an overly 'dynamic compression' like sound when played at loud volumes similar to FM radio. Personally it doesn't really bother me, but it is worth noticing. I think it would be interesting to see play a song with a wide dynamic range and see if it is indeed dynamic compression we are hearing

Dean K

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Iphone 5 speaker issue

I also hear some distortion on my iPhone 5 speaker. Although the volume can go up much higher than my iPhone 4, the speaker vibrates. This only seems to happen when I am on a telephone call. When I use the speaker for music, the distortion does not appear. I wonder if the new metal back is causing the vibration. I visited a local Apple store and was told to use the phone for a week or so to see if the distortion goes away, and if not, return for a replacement. The Apple employees indicated that they have not had a chance to evaluate many iPhone 5 issues yet, and were unable to qualify my concern.

rapoo

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
Take the plastic off. :D

Thanks for pointing that (rather obvious point) out. I was waiting for the casing which was bought online separately, and still kept the original plastic cover on, without realising that it covers and muffle sound from the internal speaker.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
OP, next time if the problem still persists, try a full restore. Sometimes that may be a bug that needs a simple factory restore. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.