Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Could someone kindly explain to me how imac mail is supposed to work. I just cannot get my head around it!
I spent 2 hours on the phone to support yesterday and they weren't much help!!

Basically as well as the imac I own an ipad and iPhone.
I have 3 email addresses. 2 AOL one mine and one my partners and a gmail addy.

If I send an email from my iphone or ipad. They show up in my AOL sent box on my mac. But if I send one from my mac they only show up in the local mac mailbox (one with paper plane logo) and not in my AOL sent folder!!
Gmail seems to work fine.
Also. For some reason the mail sent today is only showing the time top right in blue and not date!
And on ipad and iPhone in sent folder it shows recipient in bold above email. On the mac it just shows sender I.e me even if I adjust the 'sort by' at top!!
Could this be an AOL problem or are my devices just not syncing correctly!!?!

Again I would really appreciate some help. It's driving me nuts trying to sort it!

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Could someone kindly explain to me how imac mail is supposed to work. I just cannot get my head around it!
I spent 2 hours on the phone to support yesterday and they weren't much help!!

Basically as well as the imac I own an ipad and iPhone.
I have 3 email addresses. 2 AOL one mine and one my partners and a gmail addy.

If I send an email from my iphone or ipad. They show up in my AOL sent box on my mac. But if I send one from my mac they only show up in the local mac mailbox (one with paper plane logo) and not in my AOL sent folder!!
Gmail seems to work fine.
Also. For some reason the mail sent today is only showing the time top right in blue and not date!
And on ipad and iPhone in sent folder it shows recipient in bold above email. On the mac it just shows sender I.e me even if I adjust the 'sort by' at top!!
Could this be an AOL problem or are my devices just not syncing correctly!!?!

Again I would really appreciate some help. It's driving me nuts trying to sort it!

sounds like an AOL problem http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=21049

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Thanks. But I have already followed those instructions!!::(

In the Mail App, if you go to Preferences/Accounts, select your AOL account, and click on the Mailbox behavior tab, do you have the checkbox 'Store sent messages on the server' checked?

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
In the Mail App, if you go to Preferences/Accounts, select your AOL account, and click on the Mailbox behavior tab, do you have the checkbox 'Store sent messages on the server' checked?
Yes I do!
I tried unchecking it also.

I think I'm understanding what is going on now. As the mailbox on the mac is slightly different to the ipad/iPhone!

My AOL folders are just that. Folders. As long as all my sent, archived etc are being saved on the server. I can delete the folders I don't need!
I'm going to call AOL tomorrow to confirm this.
I just want it to be as simple as possible!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.