Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2ms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2002
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I wanted to know if there is a way to trim clips within events (as opposed to after they are brought into projects).

I import to video from my camera, but about 90% of it is unusable and I would prefer to cut away the garbage early in the process. In HD they stuff takes a huge amount of hd space.

Anyone know how to trim down clips (filmstrips?) within the Event Bibrary rather than within a Project?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
Then this might be of interest, try it out.

Just tried it with an imported 1080p clip, it seems one has to use "Reject Selection" as splitting is not an option.

It does work though, a bit cumbersome, but you can get it done via selecting the areas you don't want, reject them, then go to see the REJECTED CLIPS and MOVE THEM TO THE TRASH and iMovie will generate new files for you and discard the rest.

Last edited:

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Can you open the raw footage in QuickTime - before its even imported into imovie?
If so, open with QuickTime and trim the clip down to the section you want. Save that section (no quality etc is lost at all) and then import that into imovie.

I have a video tutorial in my youtube channel showing you how to do this. Give me a shout if you can't find it, but it should be in the tutorials playlist I think ;)

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
I just tried the suggestion about trimming the video in Quicktime. That worked fine (on trimming the front and back ). I found no Save option but I used Export and that seemed to work.

However, I cannot find the directory where it was put. It showed the folder name, but not the path. How can I find the full path to a file when I have no option to right click and choose Info?

Also, is there a way to split some of those videos for better trimming in Quicktime?

Thanks.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I just tried the suggestion about trimming the video in Quicktime. That worked fine (on trimming the front and back ). I found no Save option but I used Export and that seemed to work.

However, I cannot find the directory where it was put. It showed the folder name, but not the path. How can I find the full path to a file when I have no option to right click and choose Info?

Also, is there a way to split some of those videos for better trimming in Quicktime?

Thanks.

Yes you need to use the export menu in QuickTime to save the trimmed video, as you'll want to keep the original as your master.
When you export you should be given the option to save where you like. Select the desktop, for example, so you know exactly where it is without needing a full path - makes it nice and easy to see the trimmed clip and import into imovie.
I'd link to my video on youtube which shows exactly how to do this but do not wish to be flagged for self promotion etc!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.